• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Whisper

#byefelicia
2070uf7.jpg

100-year-old won a “Wish of a Lifetime” contest and chose to visit the ocean for the first time.​
[...]
100, Ruby Holt laid eyes on the sea for the first time.
[...]
Tennessee centenarian let the Gulf of Mexico surf wash up to her walker after a six-hour drive to the Alabama coast.

She’s the winner of Brookdale Senior Living’s “Wish of a Lifetime” after revealing to staff at the Sterling House senior living facility in Columbia that she’d never been to a real beach before
[...]
“I’ve enjoyed every bit of it,” Holt told the newspaper. “I’d never seen the ocean before. I always wanted to go, but I never did get to go.”
Staff from her Tennessee senior home joined her
[...]
excursion to the sandy beach, but struggled to keep up with the excited beach bum.
[...]
who turns 101 next month, watched dolphins play in the ocean, dined on seafood along the shore and watched the Navy’s Blue Angels whiz by from the Naval Air Station in Pensacola
[...]
She didn’t venture too far into the water at the windy Orange Beach, but she dipped her toes into the waves at least once.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/tennessee-centenarian-visits-ocean-time-article-1.2019395
x35ylh.jpg
qzloa8.jpg

27zizb6.jpg

Awwww makes me wanna cry, such a simple thing to give such great joy. I love the beach too and I don't get to go much but I have been several times. My greatest wish would be to visit all 50 states, if only just to drive thru on the way to another one.

Anybody know why they decided to take her there in what is quickly approaching winter? They could have taken her there in summer when she might have had a dip, surely?

It may have been the closest ocean to her home...so shortest drive. Long drives would be difficult at her age I would think. Awesome story. Made me smile and smile and smile!

Anybody know why they decided to take her there in what is quickly approaching winter? They could have taken her there in summer when she might have had a dip, surely?
Pensacola FL is actually closer to them then the Coast of North Carolina. I looked at the weather and it was 55 that day in FL and by comparison 45 in NC. Honestly think they did it now because it is a limited time frame feeling.

Go to Gulf Shores, the Redneck Riviera! Boycott Florida! It's a stupid state and I couldn't find ONE SINGLE pack of Virginia Slims anywhere..and believe me, I made mr cb stop at every damn Quickie Mart I saw.

Back