• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Blunderbuss Firozabad

Made of Pumpkin pie
Bold Member!
Well, shit

1000013960.jpg

Ryne Zehner, 29

Phoenix, AZ

"A man is dead after a palm tree fell and trapped him underneath it at a park near South Mountain.

On Thursday afternoon, Phoenix Fire crews received reports of a man trapped underneath a large tree at Highline Park near 12th Street and South Mountain Avenue.

When crews arrived it was determined the man was beyond help and was pronounced dead at the scene.

The man has been identified as 29-year-old Ryne Zehner."

"Ryne was walking in the park with another person [his caregiver] when the tree fell on top of him. The other person was not injured.

Family tells ABC15 Ryne was a resident at Hacienda Healthcare."

Does Hacienda Healthcare sound familiar?

Very touching remembrances of him, have kleenex handy

Something about the photo used for the obituary makes me exceedingly sad. I could be totally incorrect here, but it looks like an ID photo taken by the facility. There appears to be a scrub sleeve in the foreground.

I can't even begin to imagine how tough it would be to have a developmentally disabled family member in need of in-house care, but I'd like to think I'd have more options to choose from. :sorry:

I started wondering how many people trees killed a year.
Here are some yearly averages I sourced as best I could:

47-wind-related tree fatalities ( probably what happened to Ryne as there had been gusts up to 45 mph that day)

5-Christmas tree related fatalities (fires)

4-lightening-striking-tree related fatalities

100-tree-worker (arborists) fatalities ( a mix of falling, electrocution, being struck by a part of the tree, working with a stump grinder, etc.)

90- logger fatalities

3,566 -automobile accident fatalities where a tree was identified as the most harmful event.

O -Being Keith Richards under a coconut tree.

That's all I could think of to look up.
Rope swings, hanging, off-roading, murderers lying-in-wait behind trees, African bee nests in trees, deadly neighbor disputes over trees, trees obscuring line-of-sight for drivers, collapsing treehouses, murders in treehouses, left tied to a tree, bicyclists hitting trees, I don't know.

Palm trees in general have very shallow root systems. When I lived in FL I'd see them get knocked down all the time by storms.

Sometimes they'd get knocked over but just keep on living, and end up with 90 degree bends.
I used to think they were shallow roots too until I had to dig one up to remove it. I finally gave up and cut the stump 8 feet under ground. This wasn't a very tall palm tree either, I could still use a 6 foot ladder to trim on it. People would also tell me there would only be a ball of roots near the trunk, I dug out a large pool that was near this tree and the roots were all around it.

@everjaded and @Josh P , you're both right.

1000014054.jpg

"How wide and deep a palm tree’s roots spread varies between species."

"While most large trees have extensive tap root systems to anchor them firmly into the ground, palm trees don’t have deep roots.
How deep palm tree roots are depends on the species, but most are shallow, only penetrating between 12 and 48 inches of soil."

"Most palm trees grow in sandy areas close to water (rivers or the coast). [Florida]

Tap roots (and those that are more vertical) struggle to grow in these conditions because of the high amount of water (particularly salt water) and the loose nature of sandy soil (sand doesn’t provide suitable anchoring for trees), among other reasons.

By having roots that spread horizontally, palms avoid contact with salt water, put their roots within reach of nutrients and rainwater (sand has great drainage), and better stabilize the tree in sandy conditions."

@everjaded and @Josh P , you're both right.

View attachment 109119

"How wide and deep a palm tree’s roots spread varies between species."

"While most large trees have extensive tap root systems to anchor them firmly into the ground, palm trees don’t have deep roots.
How deep palm tree roots are depends on the species, but most are shallow, only penetrating between 12 and 48 inches of soil."

"Most palm trees grow in sandy areas close to water (rivers or the coast). [Florida]

Tap roots (and those that are more vertical) struggle to grow in these conditions because of the high amount of water (particularly salt water) and the loose nature of sandy soil (sand doesn’t provide suitable anchoring for trees), among other reasons.

By having roots that spread horizontally, palms avoid contact with salt water, put their roots within reach of nutrients and rainwater (sand has great drainage), and better stabilize the tree in sandy conditions."

Very educational, the most common palm tree around Phoenix that grows like weeds is the Washingtonia filifera. There is a bettle that likes to bore holes in that species of palm to lay eggs. Every year I see these giant black beetles buzzing around my yard, they are huge.

Back