• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Any dog can attack but most news stories are about pit bulls

Well, the media will only tell you what they want you to hear.

No one knew what pit bull was until DMX had them in his music videos. Before that, rottweilers were the viscous human eaters, but do you hear about them now?

I have a pit bull now, and have fostered a few in the past with no issues. I've been attacked to the ground by a german shepard and bit in the face by a cocker spaniel. Just last week I was driving and a stray all black shepard-like dog attacked my car... while it was moving...

I must live in the wrong area code, don't see any around here
BWAHAHAHA!
Perhaps or maybe it's because my profession that makes the difference. I'm a dog walker and pet sitter and work closely with many rescues. The numbers you gave are based on AKC Registered purebreds. It's not an accurate number of how many of each breed exists. Over 200 Pitbulls are killed daily in LA County and the breed makes up 40% of the dogs in shelters.
The pit bull population has now risen to 40% of all the dogs in 12 shelters in Los Angeles. THAT MEANS THAT ALMOST HALF OF THE ENTIRE LOS ANGELES DOG POPULATION IS PITS OR PIT MIXES! Most are strays, tossed out like dirty laundry. It's heartbreaking." (Villalobos Rescue Center regarding the situation in Los Angeles, CA.)

http://www.pbrc.net/breeding.html

Of course, this could differ nationwide and I don't have those statistics, but in the circles I run in with rescues it's common knowledge that they're WAY overpopulated.

In the 80's it was Doberman attacks that were always on the news, the 90's saw Rottie attacks, the 2000's get Pits.

I'm scared to death of pit bulls, I adore Rotties but honestly, only one dog breed will get me to run in utter terror and, no lie, it's a fucking poodle. I can pet a Pit if the owner assures me it's okay, I'm enough of a dumbass that I usually walk right up to Rotties but Poodles, I cannot go near, I am absolutely petrified.

Anyway, my point is, every decade has seen a different "target" breed.

When I met my husband he had a pit/rottie/shar pei mix....sweetest dog in the world!! But his other dog, a chow chow was a little scary. I didn't realize until it was too late but he had dementia so he treated us like we were strangers, freaked me out. If I fed him I had to leave it outside & walk away, he wouldn't come near. But if we stayed too long he'd charge us. Both have passed since.
ANYWAY...LITTLE dogs scare me. My dog is a poodle mix, but he's 40 lbs. Some woman was holding this trembling teacup Chihuahua and asked if I wanted to hold it. Uhhhh.....no. That thing is scared & if I touch it, it's sure to latch on with it's teeth!

They actually do, but it's got to be a full bred American Staffordshire Terrier.
But isn't that a Staffordshire Terrier then and not a Pit Bull? I thought a Pit Bull was a mix of the Staffordshire and a Bulldog, English, right?

ETA: This is an honest question, I'm not asking to be an ass. I do want to know because I was always taught that a pit bull was a mixed breed or as they call them now hybrids, like a Cock-a-poo, Golden-doodle, etc.

Last edited:
Perhaps or maybe it's because my profession that makes the difference. I'm a dog walker and pet sitter and work closely with many rescues. The numbers you gave are based on AKC Registered purebreds. It's not an accurate number of how many of each breed exists. Over 200 Pitbulls are killed daily in LA County and the breed makes up 40% of the dogs in shelters.

http://www.pbrc.net/breeding.html
That was my point about zip codes, I'm sure certain areas are dominated by certain breeds, doubt you'll find many pit bulls in Atherton, Portola Vally, or Hillsboro yet East LA is over run by them, and they over breed them, so they end up everywhere in the immediate area
Pit bull domain is small compared to the whole state, in my area you would think the state is over run by Shih Tzu's every broad in the area drives by with one in her lap, yet go to Oakland and all you see is Pit bulls, but they still do not dominate in pure numbers
they still lag behind Shepherds and labs

This is insane, I understand where you are coming from
ABC News’ Matt Foster reports:

What do you do with 3,000 unwanted pit bulls?

Riverside County, Calif., just east of Los Angeles, felt forced to euthanize that many each year, according to John Benoit, a member of the county’s board of supervisors.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...rnia-county-orders-breed-spayed-and-neutered/

But isn't that a Staffordshire Terrier then and not a Pit Bull? I thought a Pit Bull was a mix of the Staffordshire and a Bulldog, English, right?

No. I'm not sure about the difference between a staffy and a pit, but I know a pit is not defined as a staffy/english bulldog mix.

I can't really find anything different between a staffy and pit. I think staffys just have a tracked blood line, where as pits are the same thing but they're more loosely bred.

Pits aren't always these big muscle masses either. I only knew one pit that was a brick house. Most of them are just scrawny little things with big heads. Mine is 13yrs old and 40lbs, but it's mostly treats. :cat:

Pit Bull Terrier[edit]
The Pit Bull Terrier was created by breeding mastiffs[citation needed] and terriers together to produce a dog that combined the gameness and agility of the terrier with the strength of the mastiff.[5] These dogs were bred in England as all-around farm dogs, and arrived in the United States where they became the direct ancestors of the American Pitbull Terrier. In the United Kingdom Pit Bulls were used in bloodsports such as bull baiting, bear baiting and cock fighting. These bloodsports were officially eliminated in 1835 as Britain began to introduce animal welfare laws. Since dogfights were cheaper to organise and far easier to conceal from the law than bull or bear baits, bloodsport proponents turned to pitting their dogs against each other instead. Dog fighting was used as both a bloodsport (often involving gambling) and a way to continue to test the quality of their stock. For decades afterwards, dog fighting clandestinely took place in small areas of Britain and America. In the early 20th century pitbulls were used as catch dogs in America for semi-wild cattle and hogs, to hunt, and drive livestock, and as family companions.[5] Some have been selectively bred for their fighting prowess.[6][7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_Bull

Well, yeah... lol. Their lineage comes from mastiffs, but literally every dog breed came from others. Dogs are man made.

I thought you meant like, if a staffordshire terrier and a bulldog bred yesterday, if their puppies would be pit bulls.

Well, yeah... lol. Their lineage comes from mastiffs, but literally every dog breed came from others. Dogs are man made.

I thought you meant like, if a staffordshire terrier and a bulldog bred yesterday, if their puppies would be pit bulls.
No. Also, Wikipedia said that the term pit bull is used to more or less describe a class of characteristics more than anactual breed. Which I think was what was closest to the answer that I was looking for. More like, what makes a pit bull a pit bull, what dogs are classified as that, I guess is what I should have said.

I wasn't clear. Staffordshire terriers look different to me than what I know as a pit bull and that's what had me wondering, but I totally didn't make myself clear in my question because my question still isn't clear inmy own head.:confused:

ETA: This is an honest question, I'm not asking to be an ass. I do want to know because I was always taught that a pit bull was a mixed breed or as they call them now hybrids, like a Cock-a-poo, Golden-doodle, etc.
I honestly don't know for sure. But American Staffs were the first to adopt the knickname and after that the term "Pitbull" was used as a loose term to describe any dog that even remotely resembled an American Staff or with a boxy head. It's so discombobulated now that I don't think anyone knows. I do know that the AKC forbids use of the term to refer to American Staffs.

Pit bulls are banned here, and I was wondering whether American staffies would be labelled as pit bulls... so I went to wiki, saw an image of an American Staffordshire Terrier, and thought "hhmm, that does look a lot like my idea of a pit bull, since American staffies are a lot bigger than English Staffies."

So I then go to the wiki page on the American Pit Bull Terrier, and find the exact same photo of the same dog, but apparently it's now a pit bull and not a staffie.

Of course, the staffie is now taking a lot of flack over here because it's the new status dog, tends to have a lot of pups, and is being over produced and interbred with mastiffs, other bull types, and some illegal pits.

I'm wary of breed specific legislation - I'm convinced it's down to poor breeding and poor ownership, but I'm also very aware of the power of these dogs, and my own dog was almost killed by a staffie that grabbed hold of and ripped his shoulder. Had he got the throat bite he was aiming for, my sweet spaniel wouldn't have survived.

I'm wary of most any dog I don't know while walking my dogs, but have to admit to being especially careful when I see any status type dog. I love shepherds, but don't trust other peoples. I'm happy with my springer spaniels anyway!

Anyone heard of French Bulldogs attacking? That's the dog I am (trying to) convince my husband to buy me. They are so cute!

I have friends who do their dog is super placid. I have two pugs, they all play together. The only time they get worked up is over food or a big dog there not used to. They'll grab each other by the side of the neck fat or nip the others tail.

I've found its very hard for them to do any thing more because their mouths/snout are so small.

The only time I remember one of them lunging, I was eating something with one on my lap and she nipped my chin, her teeth didn't touch just her jowls and slobber. That was my fault, they have to keep their distance now.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/local/pit-bulls-maul-elderly-couple-modesto/nhjk6/

MODESTO, Calif. —

A Modesto man has died after he and his 77-year-old mother were mauled by a pack of pit bulls owned by his neighbors, sheriff's officials said Wednesday.

The 59-year-old man died of multiple traumatic injuries suffered in Tuesday's attack at his home in the city of Modesto, Stanislaus County Sheriff Adam Christianson said. His mother remained hospitalized in critical condition.

Pit bulls are banned here, and I was wondering whether American staffies would be labelled as pit bulls... so I went to wiki, saw an image of an American Staffordshire Terrier, and thought "hhmm, that does look a lot like my idea of a pit bull, since American staffies are a lot bigger than English Staffies."

So I then go to the wiki page on the American Pit Bull Terrier, and find the exact same photo of the same dog, but apparently it's now a pit bull and not a staffie.

Of course, the staffie is now taking a lot of flack over here because it's the new status dog, tends to have a lot of pups, and is being over produced and interbred with mastiffs, other bull types, and some illegal pits.

I'm wary of breed specific legislation - I'm convinced it's down to poor breeding and poor ownership, but I'm also very aware of the power of these dogs, and my own dog was almost killed by a staffie that grabbed hold of and ripped his shoulder. Had he got the throat bite he was aiming for, my sweet spaniel wouldn't have survived.

I'm wary of most any dog I don't know while walking my dogs, but have to admit to being especially careful when I see any status type dog. I love shepherds, but don't trust other peoples. I'm happy with my springer spaniels anyway!
you always have to be wary of a dog that you don't think you could take as you don't know what has happened to it and the more "bully" breeds have the muscle and teeth to back their action. I love Kangals a form of ANatolian herd dog and one of the oldest breeds, their known as wolf killers because they can, there's a video of a situation through a guys cam he had set up over in Turkey and showed a couple of wolves coming in to go after the goats [I think or sheep] and the dog killed both of them, had one want another but I need to get my place more enclosed as they are territorial and their territory can be where they think it is: people before me had a Pyrenees [close related to them] and it would go down the way and across the street and would let my neighbor get his mail out of his box! they also are funny around other dogs "in their area"

Frankly I feel breeding dogs for sale should be stopped. There are so many abused and unwanted animals in the shelters it is heart breaking.

Back