• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
I also question Freeh's statement that he could find no connection to the 1998 incident and Sandusky's retirement...

Perhaps there is nothing in writing (and if there was a true cover up there wouldn't be) but why exactly was there such a brouhaha over Sandusky retiring. This was in 1998. He had been told he wouldn't be the next head coach but why does this mean he has to quit or retire? They even said that JoePa had no problem with him staying on as a coach as long as JoePa was coaching. He could have easily done 35 years with Penn State and got the retirement package he was eligible for. Why did he have to retire at 30 years? Why was it completely improbable that whoever was chosen to replace JoePa wouldn't also let Sandusky continue coaching? We're talking about the most prestigious football program ever. Why wouldn't someone want to keep a member of JoePa's inner circle who could know some of JoePa's coaching "secrets"? It's very very confusing to me. They act like it's a big rush and hurry to get Sandusky's retirement situation handled right away. Why? Then the list of demands (framed as requests) Sandusky made to retire is really, really long. What made him special? Why would the school give him anything more than what any other faculty member retiring with his years of service? Why would they give him a dime more than that? Why? Why? Why?

None of it makes sense unless they wanted him gone because they KNEW that he had done something wrong and (more than likely) that it wasn't the first time they'd heard about the "Sandusky situation." They didn't want to fire him because they'd have to say why he was fired and the football program could NOT be touched by the taint of the possibility of a scandal. Sandusky also knew the kid(s) were afraid to say anything and were unlikely to talk which would mean he could win a wrongful dismissal lawsuit with the school. The best option was to get him off their payroll (at which point it becomes "a Second Mile issue") and tell him to keep his "guests" at home so they acquiesced to his retirement demands. Their other offer was an Assistant Athletic Director position (which I take to mean he would have lost a lot of his benefits that made him attractive to these boys) which he turned down flat.

Again, there is no explanation for why this retirement issue seemed to be pushed through in such a hurry. Why? I really don't buy Freeh's statement that it didn't appear to be related. If so, why not? Why was it such a hurry for Sandusky to retire or change to another position even though JoePa was willing for him to stay on as long as he coached.

I wish for more documentation.... I'd give anything for some good old Florida Sunshine laws on this case because I think there is MUCH more that we haven't heard.

Jerry Sandusky's retirement package has been revoked.

University spokesman Dave La Torre said the agreement was revoked in November, following Sandusky's Nov. 5 arrest. La Torre added the university has no plans to recover a lump sum payment of $168,000.
[...]

On Oct. 29, days before his arrest, Sandusky attended Joe Paterno's record-setting 409th victory against Illinois and sat in a Nittany Lion Club suite, according to the Freeh Report.

He also reportedly was seen by several players working out in the Lasch Football Building the week before his arrest.
http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/sandusky-retirement-package-revoked-1091964/

I also question Freeh's statement that he could find no connection to the 1998 incident and Sandusky's retirement...
Perhaps this is the reason. Sandusky's retirement was discussed before the 1998 assault due to the early retirement program ending. Once Sandusky knew he wouldn't be the next coach, the retirement option was probably the best deal. He negotiated a sweet package and kept many unheard of benefits.
The timing of Jerry Sandusky’s 1999 retirement from Penn State University appears to have been influenced not by discovery of his sex crimes but by a determination to help Sandusky take advantage of an early-retirement program that boosted his retirement benefits.

Emails released as part of a 267-page investigative report suggest that a state retirement program called “30-and-outâ€￾ pushed the former Penn State football coach and convicted sex offender into early retirement in 1999.
[...]

As part of the Freeh report, communication between three Penn State officials — former President Graham Spanier, former Vice President Gary Schultz, and suspended Athletic Director Tim Curley — between February 1998 and June 1999 shows that Sandusky, former football head coach Joe Paterno and the three university officials wanted to finalize Sandusky’s retirement before “30-and-outâ€￾ ended on June 30, 1999. They wanted to help Sandusky receive more pension benefits from the state.

The emails in fact suggest that Penn State would have been happy to keep Sandusky as a coach “for three more seasons,â€￾ but Sandusky instead opted for retirement and the perks offered by Penn State and the state. One of those perks was an unusual $168,000 lump sum payment from the university.

The “30-and-outâ€￾ incentive was a 12-month program passed by the Legislature in 1998 that encouraged early retirement for state employees. State law regarding the State Employees’ Retirement System, or SERS, rewarded people employed by the state for at least 30 years with pension benefits typically reserved for 35-year veterans, but only if they retired between July 1, 1998 and June 30, 1999.
[...]

On Feb. 9, 1998, Curley broached the subject of Sandusky’s early retirement in an email to Spanier and Schultz.

“Jerry will have 30 years in the (state retirement) system next year, which will give him some options after next season,â€￾ Curley wrote.

In May 1998, Sandusky sexually assaulted Victim 6 in the Lasch Building. University police, although suspicious of wrongdoing, decided in June 1998 not to press charges against Sandusky.
[...]
http://paindependent.com/2012/07/penn-state-boosted-pension-payouts-for-sandusky/

An artist erased the halo over the late Joe Paterno on a mural in State College, Penn., after a report found the Penn State football coach helped cover up child sex abuse by a former assistant coach.

The mural, located across the street from the Penn State campus, features the Nittany Lions late football coach Joe Paterno in the forefront.

The artist Michael Pilato had put a halo over Paterno’s image after the coach’s death in January, but after the damning results of an internal investigation was released Thursday detailing Paterno’s choice to “concealâ€￾ allegations of child sex abuse against assistant coach Jerry Sandusky, Pilato said he had to remove it.
[...]

Pilato added a large blue ribbon on Paterno’s lapel symbolizing support for child abuse victims, a cause the artist said Paterno had endorsed.

“When I took the halo off of Joe, it was kind of saying that he’s a human being, put the blue ribbon on him as well, and that was talking about sexual abuse awareness,â€￾ Pilato told ABC News Radio.

Pilato said he’s been under pressure to remove Paterno all together.

“A lot of people are calling for me to take him off of the mural – I won’t do that, that would be changing history, but I also believe that we can’t erase that mistake that he made towards the end of his life which was devastating of course to so many young men,â€￾ Pilato said.

Pilato completely removed former assistant coach Sandusky’s image from the mural last November.
[...]

Pilato tells ABC News he’s still deciding what to do with Spanier’s image on the mural.

“People are throwing stuff at him on the mural, you know also it’s pretty hardcore, you know he was the guy up at the top of the chain of command here at Penn State and the stuff in the Freeh report is pretty damaging,â€￾ Pilato said.

Pilato said he’s thinking of painting a blindfold over Spanier’s eyes.

“Put a blindfold on him, um, you know things like that, I have no idea right now, you know, I haven’t slept in days because of this whole thing,â€￾ Pilato said.
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...tist-erases-halo-over-penn-state-coachs-head/

If he puts a blindfold on Spanier (who despite being President was the least informed because Curley sugarcoated all the information he told him), shouldn't there be a blindfold on Paterno too? Maybe the "See No, Hear No, Speak No" monkeys need to be painted in the corner of the mural instead of all these idiots...

Banner Flying Over Penn State To Have Joe Paterno Statue Removed

Banner Flying Over Penn State To Have Joe Paterno Statue Removed

Read more: http://www.961kiss.com/pages/freakshow.html?article=10274637#ixzz20tb7Ona9

Someone has a banner flying over Penn State today that says "Take the statue down or we will" referring, obviously, to the Joe Paterno statue that still stands outside the football stadium.

Read more: http://www.961kiss.com/pages/freakshow.html?article=10274637#ixzz20tbrJstF

More Paterno fallout

Paternoville changes name to Nittanyville

Paternoville is no more.

Days after the Freeh report implicated the late Joe Paterno in the cover-up surrounding the Jerry Sandusky sex abuse scandal at Penn State, the student organization that runs the tent village set up outside Gate A at Beaver Stadium before home games announced it has changed its name. Paternoville has become Nittanyville.

So there are more men coming forward to say that Sandusky abused them even earlier than the victims in the case that was prosecuted. Is anyone really REALLY surprised? Amendola himself said that Jerry Sandusky didn't all of a sudden become a pedophile in his 50's. He did all the fine tuning on his MO in his twenties (or possibly earlier) and by the time he hit his 50's, he was a freaking PRO at being a pedophile.

I've had something that has been going through my head over and over in the past couple of days. In my mind, I see the four men sitting and talking about what to do about Sandusky and his pesky urges for little boys. Oh, wait. I know how to hurt him. Tell him that he would never have become head coach at Penn State and allow him to retire early so that he gets more in the way of retirement benefits. Oh, yeah. Now, that would stop a pedo like Sandusky. NOT. What I call the "Big Four" were a bunch of greedy assholes who had only one concern and that was protecting the reputation of Penn State, Saint JoePa and his money-making machine of a football program. I can imagine them walking out of that meeting, perfectly satisfied that they had done the right thing. Come on. They knew what they were doing was wrong, and they did it anyway. Now that they're being exposed for what they are, they're coming out and blaming everyone else.

And you know what? In the case of Dottie Sandusky, I don't think there is any way in hell that she didn't have at least some idea of what her husband was doing. On the other hand, if this was all such a big secret to protect the great Penn State, how the hell would Paterno's family know what he was thinking and doing? If the man couldn't even accept what was REALITY slapping him in the face, why would anyone think that he would go home and this would all be part of the family discussion over the dinner table? That was the point of the whole thing... keeping the secret and protecting the rep and the contributions that were expected.

After his retirement, Sandusky just got his second wind and had even more time to spend with those poor unfortunate children that his Second Mile organization was helping. The organization might have had some real and honest people who seriously wanted to help kids, but we all know what Second Mile was to Sandusky. It was his candy store. He could window shop, sample, then choose exactly the right boy who would respond to his advances. Sure, he had a couple of misses, but for the most part, he could peg them like a pro, I'll bet.

I am actually feeling nauseous here. Wow.

**Oh, and btw.... I just passed my 2000th post and still no cookie in sight. A person could get paranoid here, ya know.

The iconic statue of late Pennsylvania State University head football coach Joe Paterno will be removed from its spot outside of the campus’ football stadium, university president Rodney Erickson said in a statement Sunday.

Shortly after 8:20 a.m., workers in yellow safety vests loaded the statue onto a forklift, which rolled away with it. The statue was taken inside Beaver Stadium.

Citing allegations that Paterno was involved in a conspiracy to keep quiet sex abuse allegations involving former assistant Jerry Sandusky, Erickson described the 7-foot-tall statue’s continued presence as a distraction.

Police and construction crews surrounded the statue just after 6:30 a.m., reported The Daily Collegian, the campus newspaper.

“I now believe that contrary to its original intention, Coach Paterno’s statue has become a source of division and an obstacle to healing in our university and beyond,â€￾
Erickson said. “For that reason, I have decided that it is in the best interest of our university and public safety to remove the statue and store it in a secure location.â€￾

During his career, Paterno, a Hall of Fame college football coach, had come to define the Penn State spirit for many. He and his wife donated more than $9 million over their careers to the university and campus buildings that bear their names such as the library and a Catholic student center.

Erickson said Sunday that Paterno’s name would remain on the university’s library building as a credit to his dedication to academics.
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...f_Joe_Paterno_statue_from_Beaver_Stadium.html

NCAA will levy "significant, unprecedented penalties" that are "well beyond what has been done in the past," a source familiar with the case tells CNN. The NCAA will not impose the so-called "death penalty," the source said.
The NCAA, which oversees college sports, is expected to announce "corrective and punitive measures" against Penn State at 9 a.m. ET Monday, according to a news release.
http://www.cnn.com/JUSTICE/

thats shutting the program down completely
Temporary. For a year or maybe more.

While I have a vengeful mind and would love to see that happen, it wouldn't really be fair or just. I'm curious to see what the NCAA does come up with though.

While I have a vengeful mind and would love to see that happen, it wouldn't really be fair or just. I'm curious to see what the NCAA does come up with though.

I didnt see that part I just caught part of them talkjing on CNN the other day about it
Im glad they havent backed off just because Sanduskys in prison and Paterno is dead
I was afraid they wouldnt completely clean the closet out
I havent been watching news at all lately aside from my local nightly news so Im not sure what else they have planned
but did see more charges coming for a few more coachs or those that worked there

Penn State will be hit with fines in excess of $30 million as part of penalties expected to be announced Monday by the National Collegiate Athletic Association, a source familiar with the case told CNN Sunday.
The penalties are part of the continued fallout from the sex abuse scandal involving former football coach Jerry Sandusky.
http://www.cnn.com/JUSTICE/

I want it to happen too, but not necessarily for vengeance. It seems like just about EVERYONE at Penn State still thinks JoePa is some kind of demigod. I would like them to be reminded that life really does exist without football, and that sports-related accomplishments are not actually the measure of anyone's worth.

I want it to happen too, but not necessarily for vengeance. It seems like just about EVERYONE at Penn State still thinks JoePa is some kind of demigod. I would like them to be reminded that life really does exist without football, and that sports-related accomplishments are not actually the measure of anyone's worth.
I know my husband, ex-Penn State student, still does and is FURIOUS they took down his statue... we don't exactly see eye to eye on anything Paterno. He says "he told his bosses all he had to tell them." I guess it doesn't matter that he convinced those bosses not to call police because of how bad it would look on his team and that they could handle it internally when everyone knows anything JoePa wanted, JoePa got.

Last edited:
Just curious, [MENTION=2733]Saffron[/MENTION]......how does he feel about Penn State facing $30 million in fines? Plus, I heard this morning that they will have their scholarships severely limited and be banned from Bowl games. Does he feel that Penn State is being "picked on"?

We haven't gotten into that too much because he changes the subject quickly when we argue. I told him straight out that I am well aware of why Penn State chose to take the statue down yesterday and that is trying to save their asses and reduce the likelihood of the football program being shut down. I do think he called that ridiculous. I know sportswriters are saying a one year "death penalty" would be a better option for Penn State than the penalties they believe are coming. I, personally, think that anything less than 5 years would be completely useless. Something has to break the mentality that Penn State football is life and JoePa sits right hand to God.

The Big Ten is also set to announce additional sanctions against Penn State later this morning

1) A $60 million fine, the funds of which go to external programs for child abuse. According to the NCAA, that amount “cannot come at the expense of non-revenue sports or student-athlete scholarships.”

2) A four-year postseason ban.

3) All wins from 1998-2011 will be vacated (111 wins). Joe Paterno is no longer major college football’s winningest.

4) A reduction of 10 initial and 20 total scholarships each year for a four-year period. This will drop the limit of offered scholarships per year to 15 and cap the total number of scholarships to 65.

5) Five years probation with a monitor.

6) The NCAA can investigate the program further after criminal proceedings.

Additionally, Penn State athletes may be allowed to transfer wherever they like without penalty. NCAA is considering waiving scholarship limit for schools that accept PSU transfers as well, so the Association is really bending over backward for the athletes here.

Here’s the press release from the NCAA this morning:

By perpetuating a “football first” culture that ultimately enabled serial child sexual abuse to occur, The Pennsylvania State University leadership failed to value and uphold institutional integrity, resulting in a breach of the NCAA Constitution and rules. The NCAA Division I Board of Directors and NCAA Executive Committee directed Association president Mark Emmert to examine the circumstances and determine appropriate action in consultation with these presidential bodies.

“As we evaluated the situation, the victims affected by Jerry Sandusky and the efforts by many to conceal his crimes informed our actions,” said Emmert. “At our core, we are educators. Penn State leadership lost sight of that.”

According to the NCAA conclusions and sanctions, the Freeh Report “presents an unprecedented failure of institutional integrity leading to a culture in which a football program was held in higher esteem than the values of the institution, the values of the NCAA, the values of higher education, and most disturbingly the values of human decency.”

As a result, the NCAA imposed a $60 million sanction on the university, which is equivalent to the average gross annual revenue of the football program. These funds must be paid into an endowment for external programs preventing child sexual abuse or assisting victims and may not be used to fund such programs at the university.

The sanctions also include a four-year football postseason ban and a vacation of all wins from 1998 through 2011. The career record of former head football coach Joe Paterno will reflect these vacated records. Penn State must also reduce 10 initial and 20 total scholarships each year for a four-year period. In addition, the NCAA reserves the right to impose additional sanctions on involved individuals at the conclusion of any criminal proceedings.

The NCAA recognizes that student-athletes are not responsible for these events and worked to minimize the impact of its sanctions on current and incoming football student-athletes. Any entering or returning student-athlete will be allowed to immediately transfer and compete at another school. Further, any football student-athletes who remain at the university may retain their scholarships, regardless of whether they compete on the team.

To further integrate the athletics department into the university, Penn State will be required to enter into an “Athletics Integrity Agreement” with the NCAA. It also must adopt all Freeh Report recommendations and appoint an independent, NCAA-selected Athletics Integrity Monitor, who will oversee compliance with the agreement.

Effective immediately, the university faces five years of probation. Specifically, the university is subject to more severe penalties if it does not adhere to these requirements or violates NCAA rules in any sport during this time period.

“There has been much speculation on whether or not the NCAA has the authority to impose any type of penalty related to Penn State,” said Ed Ray, Executive Committee chair and Oregon State president. “This egregious behavior not only goes against our rules and Constitution, but also against our values.”

Because Penn State accepted the Freeh Report factual findings, which the university itself commissioned, the NCAA determined traditional investigative proceedings would be redundant and unnecessary.

“We cannot look to NCAA history to determine how to handle circumstances so disturbing, shocking and disappointing,” said Emmert. “As the individuals charged with governing college sports, we have a responsibility to act. These events should serve as a call to every single school and athletics department to take an honest look at its campus environment and eradicate the ‘sports are king’ mindset that can so dramatically cloud the judgment of educators.”

Penn State fully cooperated with the NCAA on this examination of the issues and took decisive action in removing individuals in leadership who were culpable.

“The actions already taken by the new Penn State Board of Trustees chair Karen Peetz and Penn State president Rodney Erickson have demonstrated a strong desire and determination to take the steps necessary for Penn State to right these severe wrongs,” said Emmert.
NBCSports link to the rest of the story.

Last edited:
Additional sanctions imposed on Penn State by the Big Ten Conference...

The Big Ten conference added its own sanctions against member Penn State after the NCAA announced its penalties on Monday.

Penn State will not be allowed to participate in the Big Ten conference title game for the same four years in which it is banned from post season bowl games by the NCAA. Penn State will also not be allowed to share in the conference's bowl revenues for those four years, about a $13 million hit, according to a Big Ten press release. That money will be donated to children's charities, the release said.
More here at CNN.

Paterno was GOD at Penn and made the rules, he carried more weight than anyone else at Penn or Happy Valley
He couldn't even be fired, and could be refused nothing, everyone at Penn bowed to Paterno's wishes
now his worshipers want you to believe he was only a man like any other, as they still knell before his statue and pray
Oh wait! The statue, wins, pride, honor and legacy are all gone, the Paterno name has turned to mud and rightfully so, for he was as responsible for all the victims as was Sandusky, if not for Patorno Sandusky would have been stopped long ago
Paterno was a fake, phony, self idolizing fool and that's putting it mildly

:thumbup1::thumbup1:

Turns out, as one of the features of being a Penn State demi-god, Paterno would have been the one who could gotten the ball rolling, rolling faster, and kept it rolling until a full investigation of the allegations against Sandusky have been seen to, had he been so inclined. I'm not saying that "JoePa" never existed, or that he wasn't a kind and caring person in his own way, but it is undeniable what the "cash crop" at Penn State was and is. The football program, and it was cultivated, kept healthy by huge amounts of money being poured into it.

As for the statue being removed, I agree with that being done. As kind and caring as he might have been, he drank the koolaid and went at everything to do what was first and foremost in his mind..... protecting his football program.

Another thought I have is that, for every player/alumni/student who stands there with tears in their eyes, there are probably two or three more standing there at that statue with tears in their eyes for a whole different reason. Football had to be protected at all costs, and now those who did it are paying the price. Yeah, Jerry Sandusky was a professional pedophile who even set up a damned program to help kids, just to make it easier for him to do his shopping around for boys, it's always in the front of my mind that, if people (i.e., "the big four" as I call Paterno, Spanier Curley and Schultz) had not ignored or downplayed a hell of a lot of red flags, there are young men who would not be victims today, and Sandusky would have been off the streets a lot longer ago.
The sanctions and penalties from the NCAA are not unwarranted, but it's certainly not going to make a powerhouse moneymaker like Penn State go away anytime in the near future. Get it done. Quick and easy and it doesn't hurt so bad.

My heart, mind and prayers will always be with the victims, both known and unknown. They are the heroes in this story. It is they who took steps to protect any future victims of this vile creature.

The troubled youth charity ensnared in the Jerry Sandusky child sex-abuse scandal has called off plans for an internal investigation, the nonprofit's chief said.

The decision this spring to close the Second Mile has eliminated the need for an exhaustive inquiry into what past leaders knew and when, said chief executive David Woodle, who has led the organization since the arrest of the former Pennsylvania State University assistant football coach last year.

"We're in a different situation now," Woodle said. "We're getting ready to go out of business."
[...]

Donors have dried up, board members across the state fled, and the organization's longtime leader, Jack Raykovitz, resigned amid controversy.

According to a scathing grand jury presentment, Raykovitz first learned of allegations lodged against Sandusky in 2001. But it was not until a grand jury began investigating Sandusky that he pushed the former coach to shift his role from working with children to fund-raising. Sandusky did not retire from the organization until 2010.

In November, the charity's leadership hired former Philadelphia District Attorney Lynne M. Abraham to lead an investigation into the organization's "internal policies, procedures, and processes" in the wake of the Sandusky case.

But the Second Mile announced its intention in May to sell off its State College headquarters and transfer all assets to Arrow Child and Family Ministries, a Houston-based charity that said it would continue to operate several programs in Pennsylvania. The plan awaits approval in Centre County Orphans Court.

The Second Mile is a shell of the statewide operator of summer camps and youth programs it once was.

Only nine core employees remain and the board has been reduced to a handful of members, though the organization forged ahead with scheduled camps this summer in State College and Downingtown, said Woodle.

"Parents and kids still wanted to participate," he said. "We had a lot of requests and hopefully we met their needs."
[...]

Woodle said that the charity would continue to cooperate with all external investigations, including an ongoing state grand jury probe.
http://articles.philly.com/2012-08-...-county-orphans-court-second-mile-arrow-child

- Joe Paterno's family said it planned to appeal the sanctions imposed by the NCAA against Penn State for the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal. The governing body's response: Don't bother.

Family lawyer Wick Sollers in a letter sent Friday to the NCAA said the Paternos would like to appeal the "enormous damage" done to Penn State, the community, athletes and the late Hall of Fame coach. He died in January at age 85.

But the NCAA quickly rejected their plan. "The Penn State sanctions are not subject to appeal," spokesman Bob Williams said.
[...]
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...patero-family-files-appeal-ncaa.ap/index.html

Feds probe possible Sandusky child porn ring
U.S. Postal inspectors are leading a federal investigation into whether former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky shared child pornography with other individuals, CBS News has learned.

Analyzing a computer seized from Sandusky, investigators are also looking into whether he sent "seductive letters" across state lines for sexual purposes. Some of these letters were said to be sent to some of his sexual abuse victims.
[...]

A source has been told that child pornography was found in at least one of Sandusky's computers. According to the source, there is no evidence that the pornography was of his victims. There is also no mention of a ring or sharing of boys with others. CBS News investigative producer Pat Milton reports that a second source said that none of Sandusky's victims have indicated that there was shared sex with them, Sandusky and any other individual.

The investigation is being carried out of the U.S. Postal Inspectors office in Harrisburg, Pa. and the U.S. Attorney Office of the Middle District of Pennsylvania.

"I haven't heard a thing about this latest allegation," Sandusky's attorney Joe Amendola, told CBS News. "Jerry continues to maintain his innocence. We think the allegation is ridiculous."
[...]
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57491185/feds-probe-possible-sandusky-child-porn-ring/

Back