• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Like Freyja mentioned, we've had a shitload of forest fires here in Canada. Bears are becoming very common in towns. We even had a bear in a popular park in my town that had to be relocated. NEVER in my whole life have I ever heard a bear being seen there. In Alberta, officials in Banff put out a notice saying be prepared to run into a bear at anytime, anywhere in town. Unfortunately the bears homes are getting smaller and smaller, and they are coming to reclaim stolen land lol. They are coming into contact with humans more and more. Bad for us, and definitely bad for them.

Here's and article about how common they are becoming in small BC towns. It says it's not for sure there is more bears, and there hasn't been an uptick in calls... I would attribute that partly to people not calling in a bear sighting if the bear is not being troublesome. A healthy bear was euthanized recently around this area, and people said they don't want to call in bears that aren't causing problems for fear of them being killed. They just message neighbors and warn each other. Which to me personally,seems like a good idea. But if so many people are saying they see more than usual, I'd believe the locals:

I’m in small town BC. Our entire town has bears almost all year barring hibernation.

two nights ago Mum and 2 cubs in our backyard not 50 metres from us.

We back away. Make noise to move them along. Garbage is always secured so no easy meals. Fruit trees are gleaned.

They eventually move along but we understand we are on their land. It’s just that common here we know they will come looking and leave if we leave them alone.

Some get trapped and moved. Some get too comfortable and are killed. But as a community we do all we can to make it so they just naturally continue along.

Back