• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
1715029216596.png

A bear cub that was tormented by a group of North Carolina friends who grabbed her to take selfies is now orphaned in an animal refuge.
The Appalachian Wildlife Refuge has blasted the group who pulled the cub from a tree in Asheville, west NC, for their 'shocking' behavior - while giving an update on the cub's condition.

Six friends were caught capturing the terrified baby bears before taking photos with them and dropping one on the ground beside a fence near Berrington Village Apartments in a viral video on April 16.
Officials said the discarded cub was separated from her mother and siblings during the upsetting interaction, and their employees have spent the several weeks since stabilizing the traumatized animal.

They have now released photographs of the adorable black bear resting its head on towels, and of officials gently handling her while wearing surgical gloves.
The NC Wildlife Agency also said the cub was 'frightened, wet and shivering' and appeared to have suffered a paw injury when they responded to calls from witnesses on April 16.

But Appalachian Wildlife Refuge Executive Director Savannah Trantham said she has recovered well since the incident - and has even befriended another rescue bear at the refuge.

'Following a time to adjust to being in our care she was introduced to another orphaned cub that arrived previously,' she said.

'Both cubs are thriving and doing well in care. They are eating well and interacting with enrichment, doing all the things we hope to see with young cubs.

'Our team has no reason to believe that they won't be released as wild bears in the fall.'

Trantham added that the video from April 16 sparked 'feelings of frustration, sadness and anger' from the community.

They should hunt them down and throw all their asses in a cage.

I really wish they ran into a hungry bear that would eat their ass alive.

Last edited:
I hope the bear nappers are caught, they should have to be financially responsible for the Bear’s care in the rehab facility! Also be charged with animal cruelty charges! If it is on Federal Park land it may be Federal charges. I wish the Bear’s momma was near, she would have given those rowdy kids the what for! So glad they were able to save the cub!

That breaks my heart. It's sad that some individuals value their entertainment more than the welfare of animals. I'm hoping the shelter can give the bear cub the attention and assistance it requires to get over such a horrific ordeal. It serves as a reminder of how crucial it is to protect animals and its habitats.

Back