• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Turd Fergusen

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
An archery hunter has been gored to death by an enraged elk in Oregon.

Mark David, 66, shot at and wounded the elk with a bow and arrow the night before in Trask Road area, Tillamook County.

David, from Hillsboro, had been hunting on private property when he fired at the bull elk but failed to kill the animal on Saturday night.

The hunter couldn't find the injured animal before nightfall and decided to look for it the next day, according to Oregon State Police
He set out with the property owner to find the elk and at around 9.15am on Sunday morning they found the animal alive.

David attempted to kill the elk with his bow but the enraged animal charged at the hunter and gored him in the neck with his antlers.

Full Story:
Annotation 2020-08-31 135445.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My only complaint was that the elk was successfully killed.

Bow hunting is stupid torture of animals and completely unnecessary. Even gun hunting, especially of large game, is stupid and unnecessary and cannot be made humane. The absolute worst are the idiots who fly to fucking Africa to shoot down exotic animals. There are lots of mean things I could say and bad wishes I could send toward people who enjoy this fake-ass non-sport.
Post automatically merged:

What they SHOULD do is have canned hunts using pedos and incorrigible murderers. Release the murderer into an enclosed inescapable forest area and let a hunter go in with a gun or crossbow and do him in. Perfect single solution for more than one need, probably.

Last edited:
I was a bow Hunter for many years, yes, you can drop an elk with a bow, but it will take a shit ton of patience and a pretty precise shot.

That said, I went after small game mostly, some deer, lots of turkey, and once (by accident) a fox. Dropping a deer with a bow is not any harder than dropping a human, both will go down to a 70lb draw and a ripper broadhead

A not so subtle reminder from the elk to be a better marksman if you are going to bow hunt very large animals. I get that many find bow hunting to be a more sporting practice than rifles, however, this would be the exception.

That and you'd figure that if you're going out for the kill shot that you'd might want to bring a firearm (especially with something that big). And FUCK HIM for not finishing it off. If he didn't want to follow the blood trail because it's too late in the afternoon, then he shouldn't have let the arrow fly.

My only complaint was that the elk was successfully killed.

Bow hunting is stupid torture of animals and completely unnecessary. Even gun hunting, especially of large game, is stupid and unnecessary and cannot be made humane. The absolute worst are the idiots who fly to fucking Africa to shoot down exotic animals. There are lots of mean things I could say and bad wishes I could send toward people who enjoy this fake-ass non-sport.

What they SHOULD do is have canned hunts using pedos and incorrigible murderers. Release the murderer into an enclosed inescapable forest area and let a hunter go in with a gun or crossbow and do him in. Perfect single solution for more than one need, probably.
I mostly agree with you, except that killing an adult animal (with a brief period of suffering) after it spent a lifetime in the wild is arguably more humane than the factory farms and slaughterhouses where the majority of our meat comes from.

I mean, it's shitty any way you shake it. Ideally all food animals would be humanely raised and humanely slaughtered (and it seems we're heading in that direction).

But I'm a true American, so imma keep eating my cheeseburgers, trying not to think about it, and buying organic when I remember.

I mostly agree with you, except that killing an adult animal (with a brief period of suffering) after it spent a lifetime in the wild is arguably more humane than the factory farms and slaughterhouses where the majority of our meat comes from.

I mean, it's shitty any way you shake it. Ideally all food animals would be humanely raised and humanely slaughtered (and it seems we're heading in that direction).

But I'm a true American, so imma keep eating my cheeseburgers, trying not to think about it, and buying organic when I remember.
Oh and big game hunting... Yeah fuck that shit, I hope their tiny dicks all get trampled by elephants. Killing an extra-special animal doesn't make you a bigger man.

That and you'd figure that if you're going out for the kill shot that you'd might want to bring a firearm (especially with something that big).
Lots of states say no firearms during archery season.

And FUCK HIM for not finishing it off. If he didn't want to follow the blood trail because it's too late in the afternoon, then he shouldn't have let the arrow fly.
No argument there.

--Al

Ideally all food animals would be humanely raised and humanely slaughtered (and it seems we're heading in that direction).
This is what I want to see too, but at least in the EU, it's not entirely going that way. The assholes over here have mandated a killing method for hogs that is admitted to have "poor welfare" during the death. They suffocate them in high-concentration carbon dioxide, and it's even mandated, now. There are other equally-legal gasses they could use in the place of CO2 that does not cause the pain and suffering, but they refuse to mandate that, because greed and profits trump all with these fuckers.

Having said all that, I have some little piece of beef roasting in the oven now, making it so I can have a little bit of meat in the strange weird casserole that I'm making.

Imo veganism = denial and extremism and airheadedness, but god only knows who I just pissed off by writing that. Their efforts would be so much better-spent by establishing maximum-humane livestock raising and slaughtering practices and finding a way to make it work in business. But no, see, that requires creativity and persistence, which is harder than raging and hating and stealing every one else's vegetables.

Temple Grandin is the grand champion of humane livestock animal treatment and has single-handedly done more for their welfare than every single vegan on this planet combined.

If he didn't want to follow the blood trail because it's too late in the afternoon, then he shouldn't have let the arrow fly.

Exactly. Then he didn't go out the next morning to start again until 9:15. Not the crack of dawn, because the animal was suffering, but after he slept in and had a nice breakfast.

I had a friend who was a bow hunter in Oregon. We ate the heart at a feast on Twelfth Night, and you could see the arrow wound in the heart. Got it in one shot. If you don't have the chops to do that, don't bow hunt.

Temple Grandon ~ haven't heard that name in a minute, lol. I forgot about her humane slaughter-house inventions (squeeze machine? I forget the name)! She's autistic too, in case any of you were wondering, lol.
Claire Danes did a biopic on her, aswell. Pretty good.
She states that she is empathic with animals and understands their simple emotions, due to her autism (TG).

I learned about her when I still had TV, ha ha. Very impressive and inspirational woman.

Likely a much different elk is pictured, but this elk looks like he is grinning. And he should be! One of his brethren just single-handedly served some excellent karma to an apparently lazy hunter!

(FYI, I am not a person to ask about hunting etiquette and ethics, but many of the comments about, say, following blood trails and not leaving the hunt with unfinished business makes perfect sense to me.)

I have a really cool skull i found on my property one spring. The neighbor shot it but it wasnt a kill and it ran to my woods. They searched for it for about an hour. Booo. Its not ethical to give up. It was partially decomposed so i put the skull by an ant hill. About 2 weeks later i went back and got it. Soaked it in bleach water. I would have liked to have they whole deer while it was fresh but i got a cool skull anyway.

Not really defending the hunter here but it's possible he was a perfectly fine marksman but didn't land a kill shot for other reasons. My grandparents bow hunted and my grandfather used to tell me that deer sometimes jump up instinctively when they hear the twang of the bowstring. Arrows have a much lower velocity than bullets do, of course, and that reaction can actually make a difference between a fatal heart hit vs a non-lethal one that lands lower down.

Absolutely he should have stayed out that night until he found the elk and finished it off. Get a fucking tracking dog if you need the extra help, but don't leave an animal suffering like that. Very poor form.

Maybe I need to take up elk bowhunting?
Wild or feral boar with a handgun has a certain amount of appeal. A heavy hard-cast Keith or LBT bullet in the boiler room will turn out the lights in short order, but pulling the shot will just piss the boar off. Badly. There is a reason boar spears have a crossguard; namely, it keeps the boar from running up the shaft to get to the person holding the other end of the spear that's stuck in the boar.

--Al

Latest posts

Back