• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
You know what, I think everybody's figured out I don't hate, I truly do appreciate living in a richly diverse culture with all our individual quirks, sizzles, pops and oddities. And one thing I have *always* loved about my urban African American sistahs from anutha mutha, is their seriously funny, cultural Southernisms, speech patterns and phraseology. :hilarious:

Anyone who knows me IRL (knowing I'm such a big dork I'll break out in a dialectual or foreign accent in a heartbeat anytime, anywhere, out of self entertainment and sheer :bored: - kids w/me or not) knows one of my favorites to mimic (a high form of flattery) is urban African American-speak, complete with at-ti-tude and "neck twisting" (I call it bobbin' my head like a quail :playful: ).

If we ever meet in person and you're easily embarrassed by the company you keep, plan on putting me at my own table right now b/c you have been duly forewarned. I will bust everyONE of these muthafuckuhs UP with this shit! Be prepared for us to be out at lunch or dinner at my favorite Kansas City steakhouse when for no apparent reason I can figure out other than pure mental retardation, I will launch into an impromptu diatribe about anything using every voice characterization I can think of from my beloved Aaron McGruder's "Boondocks" catalog. Be afraid. Be very afraid, lol. ;)

PS: Only the oufit will look classy. The person inside it is as raunchy, raucous and misbehavin' as they come. :D

Last edited:
Pretty sickening this woman is making a big joke out of so many people losing their home/belongings, playing it up for the cameras like that. What trash.

Pretty sickening this woman is making a big joke out of so many people losing their home/belongings, playing it up for the cameras like that. What trash.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! There's our grouchy, grousing butthole! LOL. I always get a little :nailbiting: if you're around and I don't get at least one X or a big thumb down. You *know* I hate it when you ignore me for too long, Jack. :smuggrin:

PS: Only the oufit will look classy. The person inside it is as raunchy, raucous and misbehavin' as they come. :D

That's just one of the reasons I have such a girl crush on you. You are fun! <3

:eek: *gasp!* Bougie!! Uppity!! (j/k, lol).

Seriously, it's only media bait if people allow it to be, thus the intended side effect of my post. It comes off like I was being some self-aggrandizing shit ass, I know, but I wasn't. :smuggrin: I was drawing this potential convo out and letting it be O.K. that @cubby , myself, and other "white folks" (well, half in my case, but who knows with THAT genetic cesspool :rolleyes:) laugh at things that are genuinely funny. Black folks can't be comedians, too? :confused: They have to be dressed up with perfect weave Uncle Tommin' or Coonin' to be funny otherwise we're going to think of them as ignorant? Nah, I can't agree with that anymore than I can agree that b/c I speak with an Arkansas hillbilly accent when I'm relaxed I'm some dumb, inbred Arkie (No! I'm really not! Inbred, that is. *S*).

I hate pretense. I refuse to buy into the "you have to speak the King's English the way the King speaks it in these United States if you want to come off as educated, or a better class of African American" pooh pooh crappery. The media most certainly does like to irritate the hell out of us, esp. the African American upper class/bourgeoisie with stuff like this, but whether or not someone looks at this woman and thinks she's "dumb" or "ignorant" is up to them. I look at the same thing and refuse to automatically holler "oppression" simply b/c this woman is being herself. That's why I brought it up in hopes it would provide some good discussion fodder.

It's no different to me than someone thinking I'm just another dumb hillbilly when I'm using relaxed speech, or even worse, the old finger wag - *drops into dictatorial, baritone, important white guy-accent* - "if you use curse words you're only showing your own ignorance" bullshit. That stuff is wasted on people like me. I curse all the time here and I don't perceive myself as ig-nit' (maybe other people do, but leave me to my illusions, O.K.? :p ).

That was the point of my post. As long as we keep refusing to talk about this stuff, refusing to acknowledge our diversity and embrace it by allowing the media to dictate to us all what African American intelligence really is, we're just sustaining these stereotypes that choke us *all* to death. They've even got some of the best and brightest A.A. minds on the planet believing that if you don't speak like Neil deGrasse Tyson and hang out with cool white folks 24/7, you're just an uneducated :muted:. You get the idea. They're eating their own alive and that's never going to be O.K. with me. It's O.K. for me to be half caucasian/white and *like* the way this woman speaks.

It can certainly be argued that opinions like mine may be in the minority, but I'm a pretty loud minority when it comes to this stuff (ask HuffPo Black Voices!). I don't perceive her as dumb, I perceive her as funny. She's not standing at a podium giving her Baccalureate speech fcs, she's being natural, free, UNpretentious and refusing to buy into the "act more like white folks if you want to pass" thinking (IMO). Next. :)

Last edited:
I simply thought she was funny, too. She was probably scared shitless to start with because of the fire and then so relieved that no one died she decided to put a funny face on it, instead of being a grouch ass. I'll bet this is the way she is regularly, a class clown but not a figure of disgust and ignorance.

I know a woman who's a good friend and coworker of my sister's. She is a fine upstanding, hardworking very intelligent woman but I can see this very same reaction from her, she's the class clown . I would never insult her. I love and respect her too much.

So if we laugh at this we're racist?

Fuck me. I didn't know I was racist!!!

2iu9k5v.gif

I think she's a freakin genius! If this goes viral she can cash in-- Have you seen how much attention Sweet Brown has gotten from her funny post-fire tv interview?
So much that I actually remember her name & that my kids & I quote her funny line- Ain't nobody got time for that!:p

@Valasca - no, you didn't come out and say that, but it's what not being said in this statement:
It's just the media portraying another black person as dumb.

Don't run away! Of course, we know you're not racist, so does everyone else, thus my :eek: face when I read it b/c that's what *we* get accused of all the time on the internet when we laugh at things like this. You're coming from the heart when you say you hate it b/c the media would want to make her look like a buffoon, or a "Buckwheat"/"Farina" type caricature, and you're not wrong. It's a legit gripe. I'm sure it was probably just it the way it reads without body language/context, etc., but there's an unspoken implication in the way it reads that those of us who thought this was funny, or that by being cauc. and laughing at her that we were laughing b/c we were feeding into the media-induced stereotype.

I agree with Cubby that she was probably overdoing it to ham for the camera b/c she's a funny person coming down from a scary experience. She was still in a wide-eyed, "omg" state of mind, but you can tell she's overplaying it in the same way you can tell Antoine was overdoing it/hamming for the camera when he gave this interview:

Again, I know you don't give a damn about the color of someone's skin either, but there is still *such* a huge thing with highly educated African Americans going on, esp. on cable news, NPR, etc., telling black folks that if they don't appropriate the same pronunciation, dialect, speaking patterns, etc., of educated whites, they're just worthless trash showing their "ignorance." Certainly, not all African Americans do employ urban-speak, but the ones who do shouldn't be thought of as stupid/dumb because they do.

They (certain upper class blacks, not all by any stretch) go on to say that African Americans and urban black folks who *do* speak using this vernacular/phraseology are an "embarrassment to African Americans everywhere" in addition to all the "white folks" who find it distasteful. And it's still *very much* a thing, just like the Hollywooders who gasped and groaned at Ricky Gervais during the Globes for commenting on Caitlyn Jenner, for white folks not to laugh at black folks ('cept famous, paid comedians) when they're being funny b/c they get accused of laughing b/c she looks/sounds "dumb", not b/c she's genuinely a funny person. Does that make any sense?

Last edited:
Dammit. I hate when I'm wrong.
You're right. I had no issues with Ricky being offensive... yeah, comedians get offensive.
This? I just... don't like it. But I misquote Sweet Brown quite often. "One does not have time for such affairs."

I'm thrilled you're on the front lines using your voice to help rail against racism, too, fighting the good fight loud and clear right along with the rest of us. I've seen you call people out on racist commentary yourself and so have the rest of us. That's why I said it was probably just in the way it reads, and as the writer, not the reader, it may come off a little differently than you intended.

I was hoping it would garner convo with lots of people giving their opinions and dialoging about it b/c *we* as "white folks" are being called racist if we laugh at funny people who like to ham it up in their own way, too. We're constantly accused of laughing at them b/c we think they're ignorant, not b/c we think they're funny and it's just not true.

We don't give a damn about her educational status and I know you don't either but for the fact, as you said, the media likes to use it to push the "dumb" sterotype. Bougie black folks have no more right to look down their noses at everyday black folks who use urban-speak anymore than anyone else. They're setting themselves up as "better than" by being divisive and you know as well any of us the last thing the African American population needs is one more rejection, let alone a slap in the face from their own. <3

"you have to speak the King's English the way the King speaks it in these United States if you want to come off as educated,
Off topic but this line made me think of a story.

I have a very thick country accent, often confused for Southern, in fact my new boss (a week and a half) asked me today where "down South" I was born, so I told him the tiny town 20 miles south of work that I've lived forever, not what he meant. He is utterly convinced that I'm Southern and not telling anyone.

Anyway, back when I still worked EMS I was transporting a VIP professor from University of Rochester Medical Center (Strong Hospital) to the airport fr his flight home after he had a massive coronary at a conference in Rochester, his wife was riding with us. She was a beautiful and proper British woman (older, late 70's) who spoke perfect Queen's English. IMO one of the most beautiful accents in the world.

We spent the whole ride just chatting away, both asking lots of questions, I asked her so many just to hear her talk, her accent and speech was just beautiful. She was asking many questions too.

When we got to the airport she (very politely) apologized for asking me so many questions but she just wanted to hear my accent, that redneck, hillbilly drawl I have, she just thought it was "lovely". I had to laugh as I told her I was doing the same to her.

i know lots of people from England, some still there, most reside here in the US, tho. Hardly any of them "speak the Queen's English" and are quite proud of it. LOL I still love to hear them speak even after knowing most of them 40+ years. I went to Betty's 90th birthday party on Sunday, she calls everyone Duck, but she says Dooooock!
[doublepost=1452784055,1452743160][/doublepost]

Regular video

Back