• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
1686143960982.png

A 79-year-old Texas man was made “a prisoner in his own home” for months after a trio of strangers moved in, according to investigators.
The man had gone to Louisiana for a funeral, and when he returned to his home in Tomball, Texas, in December, it was immediately clear that something wasn’t right, according to a criminal complaint filed June 2 in Harris County.
His truck was missing from the driveway, and three “brand new” vehicles had taken its place, documents read. They had been financed in his name and without his knowledge, the complaint says.

He stuck his key in the front door but it wouldn’t open because the locks had been changed.

Inside were three people, two women and a man, the complaint says.
The homeowner, a disabled veteran, had tried to helpone of the suspects, he told TV station KHOU. Now he was paying for his kindness.

“I wished a thousand times I never helped them, but I did,” he said.
For several months, the trio controlled his home and his finances, documents say. When they needed money, or cash for gas, they would beat him with a plastic rod until he gave it to them, the complaint says.

His life continued like this until mid-February, when the man took one of the suspects to get an oil change, documents said. A witness noticed bruises all over his arms and asked where they came from, and the man wouldn’t answer.
Worried, the witness later went to his home and took him to a doctor, where he opened up about what was being done to him, investigators said. She filed for an eviction on his behalf and police cleared the trio out of the home.

They stole a number of appliances during their stay at the house, the witness and friend, Patti Hallas, told KHOU.

“They took the TVs, they took the wall oven, they took the refrigerator, they took everything,” she said.
Two of the suspects, women ages 43 and 39, are facing charges of aggravated robbery, court documents show.

Their male accomplice is charged with injury to the elderly, KHOU reported.

Would Castle Doctrine allow him to blow these effers to Hell?
The theft alone would allow anyone to kill them. Texas law allows deadly force to protect your property or the property of others. Years ago a guy called 911 to report his neighbors house was being robbed. He said to the operator I'm getting my gun so I can shoot him. The robber was shot and died. They state tried to files charges against the man but he was within his right to shoot the robber.

June 23, 2023

A disabled veteran who had been beaten, robbed and in danger of losing his VA housing got some great news Friday.

Since March, we've been sharing Roma "Joe" Whitten's story. He's a disabled vet who was scammed out of thousands of dollars by people he says he was trying to help.

According to investigators with the Harris County Sheriff's Office, not only was he scammed, but the three people who moved into his Tomball home were arrested for trashing the home, beating him and stealing his money.
Whitten moved into VA housing after this ordeal, but not too long after, his caretaker found out he wouldn't be able to stay at the VA housing because he didn't meet the requirements for that level of care.
But on Friday, Whitten's caretaker got some good news that he desperately needed. The VA said they found an error in his file dating back to 1993, and they were awarding him $44,000 and raising his disability rating to 70% -- a rating he needed to keep his VA housing.

"What a happy ending, it would not have happened without your news coverage," said Patty Hallas, his caretaker.

Before Whitten received this good news, a nonprofit called "Combined Arms" responded after seeing his story on KHOU 11 News and stepped in to advocate for Whitten.

"I am elated, he is getting what veterans like him deserve to get, us taking care of them, that's what they are supposed to have," said Hallas. "They gave up their lives and their health for us so that we can be free and with the 4th of July coming up, it's going to be amazing."

Whitten's story was made public all thanks Hallas. She called police and Adult Protective Services when she noticed Whitten, who was a long-time customer at her car repair shop, needed help.

The VA said they are continuing to evaluate Whitten's case for even more benefits. Because of the PACT Act President Biden signed last year, he could be eligible for even more compensation.

Why have they not named these people - this may not have been the first time they have done something like this.

Back