• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
Indigenous leaders calling on the Saskatchewan government to step in and investigate Prince Albert city police actions after the death of a 13-month old boy say the incident is evidence of systemic racism.

On Wednesday, leaders of the Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations, Prince Albert Grand Council and Thunderchild First Nation jointly called for the immediate firings of two police officers, plus a sergeant and the force’s chief, Jonathan Bergen, and for a coroner’s inquest to be held in the Feb. 10 death of Tanner Brass.

The organizations on Wednesday described the toddler’s death as preventable.

“No mother should ever have to go through this. No mother should have to feel this pain,” said Kyla Frenchman, Tanner’s mother, in a statement released at the same time a media conference was held in Saskatoon.

“He was such a happy baby, who was always smiling. He was adorable and had big squishy cheeks. We used to watch Blue’s Clues together and laugh.”

Frenchman, with her sister by her side, did not speak at the media conference. They sat quietly listening to leaders speak, with a photo of mother and child on the table in front of them.

The child’s father, Kaij Brass, is charged with second-degree murder in his death.

According to information released previously by Prince Albert police, officers went to a home at 5:44 a.m. on Feb. 10 after receiving a complaint about a family dispute. Police said one person was taken to police cells at that time.

Just before 11 a.m. that morning, police were called back to the same home for a report of a homicide involving a child. Arriving officers found a 13-month-old who had died, the release said.

Police said they arrested Kaij Brass at the home.

The FSIN said Wednesday that through its own investigation, it found “grave concerns regarding gross negligence and/or criminal negligence and systemic racism,” including police taking Frenchman — who was leaving a situation involving domestic violence — into custody and ignoring her pleas for help.

The FSIN said a check on the child’s welfare was not performed and the Ministry of Social Services was not brought in to protect him.

FSIN Second Vice-Chief Dutch Lerat said Frenchman was sober when police took her into custody, but police assumed she was intoxicated. He said her plea for her baby’s safety was also ignored while she was held in the cellblock.

“The chief of police made a loud and clear statement, as he kept these officers at work,” Lerat said.

Late Wednesday afternoon, Bergen held an online media conference. He said he “immediately” launched an investigation into the force’s response to the initial call for service after the child’s death.

After obtaining more information, he said he determined they needed a change to the oversight and management structure to ensure practices are “aligned” with policy and legislation. A sergeant was moved into a new role that provides oversight of the patrol section.

“I do know that with that strain in the high calls for service the extent to which the response is, is not always what the community needs. And so as we look at intimate partner violence and our response as a police service to it, we know that there’s a number of areas where we need to improve and that’s what we’re focusing on with the immediate structure change that has occurred,” he said.

Bergen said the two officers who responded to the initial calls were “junior” officers with less than five years of combined experience.

Surveillance footage from the police station and in-car cameras have been shared with the Public Complaints Commission.

A statement from the Ministry of Corrections, Policing and Public Safety said the provincial coroner will make a decision about an inquest after it receives the results of the investigation, and the Saskatchewan Police Commission will contact the FSIN and Prince Albert police for information.

The Prince Albert police board issued a statement supporting the independent PCC investigation.

“The public keeps saying that racism doesn’t exist. This is a prime example of exactly what systemic racism looks like embedded within a justice system that is supposed to serve and protect,” PAGC Vice-Chief Chris Jobb said in the statement.

Why is this not just shitty police work?

Why don't the First Nations Leaders work on addressing the rampant issues in their community before jumping on the woe is us bandwagon.

If the child had been removed and these two were allowed to continue to beat on each other the police still would have been called racist for removing the child.

Sometimes these situations end up being lose - lose no matter what the police do.

I wish in all cases children could and would be removed if there is even a chance they could be injured but the law puts the rights of the shitty parent ahead of the child's more often than not.

Feb 27, 2024
A judge in Prince Albert, Sask., has sentenced a man to 16 years for manslaughter in the beating death of his 13-month-old son.
Court heard that Kaij Brass of Prince Albert hit his child repeatedly, resulting in the toddler's death, hours after police showed up for a domestic call involving the boy's parents in 2022.

The father was given about three years' credit for the time he spent in pretrial custody.
Two officers who showed up at the family's home in the hours before the killing were found to have neglected their duty in not checking on the child, Tanner Brass.

I couldn't imagine being taken away, when I was the victim, while my kid is left behind with an abuser, then killed while I'm in cells. This is a nightmare scenario.

The fact they said she was intoxicated when she wasn't scream racism. My father and myself have also been accused of being drunk when we were sober, just because we were Native. Sadly there is TONS of racism especially in Saskatchewan against Natives. They royally fucked up by a) arresting the victim and b) not contacting the ministry RIGHT THEN. A child was there during a domestic dispute that resulted in an arrest. They were required to call the ministry.

I do feel awful for the mother, but I don't understand why her family didn't rush to the home and take the baby (as a Native person, we almost always have tight knit families that don't give a shit about legality. I know plenty families that have taken kids from fucked up family members with no guardianship in place) What was their excuse?

Back