• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
An Oakland activist who believed in abolishing the police was killed during a robbery outside a Wells Fargo Bank on Monday, Feb. 6.

Jennifer Angel, 48, parked her car in front of the bank in uptown Oakland. That’s when robbers smashed her car window and stole her belongings inside the vehicle.

Angel ran after the getaway car and caught up with it but she was trapped in the door and dragged over 50 feet. Her head was crushed on the sidewalk. The robbers drove away.

Angel lingered in a coma for several days before she died in an intensive care unit, her family said. Police have no suspects.

The family is seeking “restorative justice” for the criminals who killed their loved one. In a statement on GoFundMe, the family said they don’t want the thugs sent to prison.

They hope police will pursue “alternatives” to prison for the criminals.

“As a long-time social movement activist and anarchist, Jen did not believe in state violence, carceral punishment, or incarceration as an effective or just solution to social violence and inequity,” they wrote.

They added: “We know Jen would not want to continue the cycle of harm by bringing state-sanctioned violence to those involved in her death or to other members of Oakland’s rich community.”

Friends gathered outside Angel’s bakery, Angel Cakes, in Oakland to remember her on Friday. The GoFundMe page raised over $130,000 to keep the bakery open. Angel, a vocal anti-police activist, once bragged on Facebook that she instructed her employees to “never call the cops.” She told them to call the fire department in case of an emergency.

“I think Jen would affirm that of course that’s what people have been trained to believe is the answer, to lock people up,” her friend Emily Harris told the San Francisco Chronicle. “But we know that if the people who cause her harm are sent to jail, all we’re doing is perpetuating more harm.”

In a Facebook post, Angel thanked shopkeepers for not sharing their surveillance footage with police to help solve crimes. She also said she appreciated downtown businesses that had their windows broken during Black Lives Matter protests.

“Thank you businesses that support the protests,” she wrote. “Thanks for showing up, Oakland.”

If they really want restorative justice give the gofundme money to the actual victims which would be the robbers who killed Ms. Angel :penguin:
1676423588384.png

can someone please tell me what “restorative justice” means??? is it something like sue them or fine them so they can go rob someone else and inflict more pain to people so they can pay their fines?? give then a good lecture about why what they did is wrong?? or just let them go cuz it would be so hard on them and their lives to live with the guilt?? send them to theft management courses similar to parenting or anger management courses?? and shame on the ones that won't share their video cam recordings with the cops for encouraging the criminals to rob and yea maybe kill more people...

Restorative justice seeks to examine the harmful impact of a crime and then determines what can be done to repair that harm while holding the person who caused it accountable for his or her actions. Accountability for the offender means accepting responsibility and acting to repair the harm done.

What are the 3 main principles of restorative justice?

Encourage collaboration and reintegration rather than coercion and isolation; Give attention to the unintended consequences of our actions and programs; Show respect to all parties, including victims, offenders and justice colleagues.

They don't know what was going on in Jennifer's mind as she was having her head crushed.

Also why was she running after these people she should have gladly handed them over her things and let them leave in peace but she chased them.

So while it is sad she is dead she was a menace to her community and probably never thought she would be a victim of such a horrible crime.

After learning that a 19-year-old man, Ishmael Jenkins Burch, has been arrested and charged with the murder of Oakland baker Jen Angel during a robbery earlier this year, Angel’s close friends have renewed their calls for a process of accountability and healing that doesn’t involve incarceration.

Angel was a steadfast opponent of policing and prisons who routinely attended protests and gave cupcakes to those in need. A group of her close friends who have come together, working under the name the “Estate of Jen Angel,” say they want to honor Angel’s wishes.

“We’re committed to carrying out Jen’s legacy and the vision of the world that she pushed every day to create in her daily life, and we know that does not involve moving towards punishment and harm and retrenching racist and damaging practices,” said longtime friend and fellow activist Pete Woiwode. “We’re eager for the district attorney to take that seriously and move towards potential opportunities for restorative justice.”

The formation of Angel’s estate was just one example of her knack for organizing and intentional decision-making. According to Woiwode, she hand-picked and routinely updated members of her estate and their roles in case something unexpected happened to her.

On February 6, Angel was robbed in her car on the 2000 block of Webster Street in Oakland. In an attempt to retrieve her purse, she chased after the perpetrators’ vehicle and was caught in the door. Burch, who police say they identified as the driver by cell phone data and surveillance footage, allegedly drove away, dragging her more than 50 feet. She died in the hospital three days later from blunt force trauma to the head.
Despite their grief, Angel’s friends are trying to understand what drove Burch to allegedly commit the fatal robbery.

1713430218564.png

This guy does not give an fuck and will not be appreciative of any grace that Ms, Angel's friends show him.

Last edited:
I'm centre left I'd say, I tend to lean more liberal... but not when it comes to violent crimes. If you harm someone, you need to be locked up. Period. Her friends are too stupid and full of themselves to realize that man would do it again in a heartbeat, and would do it to anyone of them as well.

I'm centre left I'd say, I tend to lean more liberal... but not when it comes to violent crimes. If you harm someone, you need to be locked up. Period. Her friends are too stupid and full of themselves to realize that man would do it again in a heartbeat, and would do it to anyone of them as well.

I am not sure how to say it so it does not offend people. So sorry in advance.

Angels' friends are probably all white and without even knowing it they are racist.

They do not think this man can be held accountable for his action because he is Black.

Would they say a White Maga hat Trump supporter should not get prison time if he was the one to shoot Angel - I doubt it.

Did any of these people including Angel openly advocate that anyone from Jan 6 should not be incarcerated?

Back