• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
The Yakima Police Department said multiple people at the Randall Park dog park called 911 on Sunday afternoon to report an erratic person.

Police said the man, later identified as 22-year-old Daniel Ortega, “attempted to endanger the life of a small child with his words and actions.”

The child’s 28-year-old father attempted to de-escalate the situation with verbal commands. When that failed, the father discharged his legally owned firearm at Ortega, killing him, police said.

Yakima police said multiple witnesses at the park told the same story about what happened. The father was released from custody after cooperating with detectives.

The case will be turned over to the Yakima County Prosecutor’s Office for a formal decision.

Overreaction by father, and theirs definitely more to the story.. did Ortega have a weapon? Were all the people at the park being held hostage and couldn't leave? They're at a dog park , so if a dog gets aggressive you'd just shoot it? I would assume someone would have done sort of OC spray instead.. give the guy spicy eyes and walk away ..

• Jan 31, 2024
The 28-year-old father who shot another man and killed him at Randall Dog Park on Feb. 5. 2023 will not face charges.
Yakima County Prosecutor Joseph Brusic announced on Jan. 31 that no homicide charges would be filed in the deadly shooting due to the fact that the state of Washington would have a hard time proving that the shooting was not done in self-defense.
According to Brusic, the decision to not file charges was reached after a full review of the facts, evidence and witness accounts of the incident.

The shooting reportedly happened after Daniel Ortega, 22, approached Jason Telles and his son and a confrontation ensued.
According to the Prosecutor's Office, toxicology reports confirmed that Onega had methamphetamine, fentanyl, and cannabinoids in his system at the time of the incident.

Maybe I am reading to much in Brusic's statement but I think if he could have gotten a conviction he would have prosecuted this man/father.

“attempted to endanger the life of a small child with his words and actions.”
So vague, I want juicy details!
Also, "attempted to de-escalate the situation with verbal commands" at a dog park made me chuckle. "No, bad junkie! Drop the weapon, drop ittt!"

Back