• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Why did Gayle even have to mention that she's Black and the bitty was White? Clearly it didn't matter to either of them. White woman have been adopting and caring for Black babies for generations now. It wasn't complex and nuanced then, why does it have to be now that the roles were reversed? Oh wait, Whitey was just trying to asuage their obvious and inate guilt. I forgot... :banghead:

Feb 6, 2024

A Vicksburg woman is continuing her dream of creating a safe haven for women who are released from prison.
What appears to be a modest home renovation project in Warren County is, for Roberta Bell, the foundation of her dream to create transition homes for women just released from prison. She wants to call them Serenity Centers.
Bell’s big plans came after she was fired as a correctional officer at a Louisiana prison for women when she agreed to take care of the baby about to be born to an inmate who had asked her help.

“I said, ‘If the hospital calls me to get that baby, I am going to get that baby.’ He then said, ‘I am going to have to terminate you, then,’” Bell said. “I got fired.”
Bell said she took care of baby Kayson for 2 ½ months. She returned the baby to her mother when she was released from prison. Bell said she hasn’t seen the child since. But Bell decided that being fired for caring for an inmate’s baby was a sign that she should provide help for more women transitioning out of prison.
“Most of those women are good women,” Bell said. “They are good people. They just made mistakes, and we all make mistakes. It just so happens that we didn’t get caught.”
Bell has started renovating the Warren County house to be the first of what she hopes will be many. She has been raising money, and a lot of it has come through a GoFundMe account.

“Lord, it gets tough sometimes,” Bell said.
To say it is a lot to deal with is putting it mildly — forming a board, an organization, getting contract work done.

“I am a single mom. I am by myself. But whatever I have, if I can give it to help somebody, that is what I want to do,” Bell said.
It’s the start of a mission to make a difference and help women who get out of prison find a way to never go back.

“I am hoping, and I am praying that once they get here and they see that there is somebody that cares about them and somebody does want to see them do better, hopefully that will give them motivation to do better,” Bell said.

1715321416655.png

I hope the baby is okay.

$122,378 raised of $150,000 goal

Back