• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Ah well. The square skillet cooks well; that's really all I'm after. I have it working on some bacon for me right now, and when that's done I'll follow it with some eggs.

--Al

Woohoo! I re-seasoned my pan after being inspired here. I definitely did it wrong the first time. Whatever I did the first time... I don't remember.

That thing is now magic. Magic I tell you. I used it yesterday for the first time since re-seasoning to make pancakes and eggs. Things I LOATHE cooking in a skillet usually with nonstick or steel. Something ALWAYS sticks, no matter what. Until now. I didn't even have to wipe the pan down between cooking batches. Stuff slides off the CI skillet like butter off a hot knife.

I also made bacon in the oven, so when I was done, I just shoved the skillet into the already hot oven to add to the season, took it out and did the same thing today, and I swear it worked even better.

i have 2 12 inch cast iron skillets one is a deep one for frying the other is just a skillet. i recently seasoned mine and i found out the best way to wash them is with kosher salt and olive oil, it does a beautiful job and it doesnt strip your seasoned pan.

I need to quit looking for cast iron. Every time I do I keep finding it . . . .

I added a #8 Lodge to the arsenal that dates from the 1940s to the 1960s. Since it bears just the "8" for size, without the "SK" for skillet, it dates from closer to the '40s than the '60s. It's already in the rotation, doing Great Things for my meals.

Now 'm going to restrict myself to looking for a #8 or #10 Dutch oven and a cactus corn stick pan.

--Al

Lodge has recipes on their web site. The link is here, with both indoor and outdoor recipes. And all are optimized for cast iron, using its capabilities to best advantage. They are sourced from four-star restaurants and from home cooks of all types, and they all look very good.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried any of them yet. I've just looked them over.

--Al

What a great thread! I love cast iron & cook exclusively with them and my boys have all followed suit as they moved out.

I recently stole my bff's smallish cast iron dutch oven so I could season it for her. I saw it in her kitchen the other day, stuff all stuck to it... and I had to.

The most recent endeavour for my own pan was chocolate chip pancakes. Because.... chocolate.... and pancakes... My second most recent, (and a dish I plan to make in the dutch oven next as part of my seasoning planIs, 've done the first season = rubbed with crisco and left for 1 hour in the oven @ 400F.), was extremely simple and extremely tasty, and probably extremely bad for you. Much like chocolate chip pancakes, I'm sure.

Basically, I bought some chicken tenderloins, because they were on sale, they're pre-trimmed and so much easier to cut up into bits.

In case you don't know what cut I mean it's the separate little piece at the top of this photo (That I found on what a page for what looks to be a tasty recipe.):
GI26qIM.jpg

So I cut that up into small chunks, I was going for "popcorn chicken" size, so maybe an inch to 2 cubed.

Then I shake a bunch of chunks, enough to not stick together or crowd the pan, in some Shake and Bake (I chose Southern Fried flavour for mine...) and toss them in oil @ 350F for about 3-6 minutes, depending on the size of the chunks. The result is easily superior to actual popcorn chicken from KFC, which to me seems to be mostly shitty chunks of barely recognizable meat surrounded by a shittier version of KFC's regular coating.

The side, because, if I'm going to fry shit, I might was well go whole hog... is fries... of a sort.

I take fresh potatoes, preferably russet or any best for frying sort, and I cut them into round chips. I shake them in the shake n bake, and fry them up just like the chicken. Screw pre-seasoned frozen fries; these are SO much better, and if you have a mandoline they're pretty damned easy to cut into chips, so they're also pretty easy to make.

I also like to get beer or tempura batter mix, preferably cajun spiced, and dip the potato chips in them prior to frying; fucking amazing, I tell you. Also one of those things I haven't made in over a year because, amazing or not, it's a very heavy meal.

http://ifood.tv/corn/322463-buttermilk-corn-sticks
  • 1-1/3 Cup Corn Meal
  • 1/3 Cup All-purpose Flour
  • 1 TSP Baking Powder
  • 1/2 TSP Baking Soda
  • 1/2 TSP Salt
  • 1 TBSP Sugar (Opt)
  • 1 Cup Buttermilk
  • 1 Egg, Beaten
  • 2 TBSP Melted Shortening

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients. Whisk to blend.

(Modifications to recipe as posted)

Measure buttermilk in a 2-cup or larger measure. Break egg into measured buttermilk. Whisk to blend. Add melted shortening (I use canola oil) to buttermilk and egg mixture. Whisk to blend.

Oil cast iron corn stick pan and put in oven to preheat.

Stir buttermilk mixture into dry ingredients. Whisk or stir just until blended.

Spoon batter into cups in corn stick pan. Hear the sizzle and smell the browning corn meal.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the tops turn brown.

Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Carefully remove from pan. Enjoy with chili, butter, or a tall glass of cold buttermilk.

This is definitely corn bread, with the accent on the corn.

--Al

No luck on finding a Dutch oven at the thrift store. I broke down and bought a new 5 quart Lodge from Wal*Mart. Sandy Claws done brung it to me, if anybody asks.

I did find a #8 Wagner though, so all is copacetic.

--Al

I made a terrible mistake, and I think I'm going to have to re-season my pan again. I cooked an Atlantic salmon fillet in it, and now every time I cook chicken in it, the chicken has a faint taste of salmon.

Ah well. Scrub it, dry it, oil it, and bake it again.

On a semi-unrelated note, the Wal*Marts around here have been clearancing their Lodge cast iron. I missed a chance to get a 7 quart L10DOL3 for sixteen bucks off, so when I saw a corn bread skillet reduced to $14 I grabbed it.

--Al

I have an 11 Wagner that I love to make sammie's in cuz I can fit two at once. To make a great panini (if you don't have press like me) cover a brick in aluminum foil and use that for the press.

Couple years ago I got my hubby a cast iron Dutch oven cuz he was ruining my other pots cooking on the wood stove:mad:

He now wants a griddle so I will be checking out Wallyworld for the sales. Thanks @Alf for the tip.

I lucked into an enameled skillet a few months ago. The thrift store had two, one with a lid and one without. I picked up the one with the lid and examined it, and while I was looking at it somebody else latched onto the other one.

Then there's the cast-iron wok, the cactus cornstick pans, the seasoned steel skillet, the mini skillets, the 7-quart Dutch oven, and all the rest that have my oven bulging at the seams. It's an addiction I tell ya', an addiction!

--Al

An addiction of mine as well.

I just found a dutch oven with a lid. it also has that little space to hold the lid.
Griswold no 8 also 2568 on it. small logo no fire ring. its beautiful.
$6.00

Lodge has brought back the Aebelskiver pan that was out of commission for at least a little while. They have also put the 1-quart serving pot -- in essence a small Dutch oven -- on their web site. It's been available for a while now, just not from their site.

Lodge has also a new miniature wok that would be highly useful. When it first hit the web site it was listed at $9,999,999.00; now, though, it is listed at a much more reasonable thirty-five bucks.

Their 17-inch skillet has always had loop handles. Now, though, Lodge has three new cast-iron skillets with loop handles. In 8-inch, 10-1/4-inch, and 12-inch diameters, they have lost the stick handle and gained another loop handle in its place. Current cast-iron and glass lids should fit all three, and they are offering the 12-inch skillet as an every-day pan with a glass lid.

--Al

I like the loop handles as I just think they are handy and it is great if you have a place in the kitchen to hang them up and last alot longer than wood.I love dutch ovens

Back