• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sue sue

Take 6
LOS ANGELES (FOX NEWS) -
An Albino cobra is slithering free in an upscale California suburb. are in a desperate search to find it before it bites someone.

The hooded viper (elapids are not vipers poor fact checking) has already bitten a dog in the Thousand Oaks community. LA County Department of Animal Care a is warning people to keep their pets indoors and their doors closed until the snake is captured.
The monocled cobra is venomous that injects neurotoxin venom that can kill within hours.

"Do not approach it, do not try to capture it, do not try to kill it," said Brandon Dowling, a Los Angeles County spokesman, .....antivenom will be flown in from the San Diego Zoo.

The cobra was spotted and photographed Wednesday and appeared to be several feet long. ... . The dog bitten by the snake, named Kiko, was seen on television reports sporting a large red wound on its neck but otherwise appeared healthy.

Cobras are illegal as pets in California except for educational and scientific purposes, and a permit is required. The monocled cobra, common in Southeast Asia and parts of India and China.

The snake was most likely bred in captivity because its color would make easy prey to hawks.

Jay Brewer, who owns the Reptile Zoo in Fountain Valley, said he didn't understand why someone would own the cobra or keep one in their home. Where they're permitted, cobras are typically kept in double-locked cages or in a highly-secured, specially outfitted room.

“I am very disturbed,” Brewer said. “I don't think there is anything positive about finding a monocled cobra.”

The cobra is active during cooler morning and evening hours, but Dowling recommended keeping all doors closed to keep the snake from entering.

4650827_G.jpg
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/...ies-hunt-albino-cobra-in-upscale-neighborhood

I just saw this as i had to leave earlier but did not catch it all. This is why i am totally AGAINST HAVING SNAKES FOR PETS. A girl i know let her hubby have few and there was am incident with one of the kids and ahe flew off the handle. She ended up divorcing because the idiot seemed to love the snakes more. Kind of funny because she just won a lottery. :nana:
Hope they catch it.

I just saw this as i had to leave earlier but did not catch it all. This is why i am totally AGAINST HAVING SNAKES FOR PETS. A girl i know let her hubby have few and there was am incident with one of the kids and ahe flew off the handle. She ended up divorcing because the idiot seemed to love the snakes more. Kind of funny because she just won a lottery. :nana:
Hope they catch it.
Especially snakes that don't even belong on this continent.

I know right? I watch that show animal attractions o the animal planet a lot at night and i can't help but think to myself What are these people thinking? Lady lives in a trailer, has like 20 pet snakes, gets bit and dies but "no one saw it coming" LOL, c,mon now! And the guy with all the tigers. You have wild animals as pets you will more than likely DIE by tiger. Or lion, or bear, monkey, etc...whatever it is you are calling a "pet".

That snake is sooooo pretty!

I miss my red-tail boa constrictor! Her name was Medusa. She was a big girl too. I had her since she was the size of a worm! Bf got her for me after he murdered my ball python on accident. I don't know how he got "feed the dogs" confused with "feed the snake then put a humidifier INSIDE her tank and cover the top with a towel, while making sure all her clamps were on tightly so she has no chance at escape." I had just fed her earlier that day... I used to put a humidifier BESIDE her tank, so she could shed with ease, and she was not due for a shedding... why the towels? No clue why he thought that would help. Bastard was put in the doghouse for that one.

Medusa had to be given away because my baby was starting to walk and would curiously hit her tank, which I thought of 1000 different reasons why that is a bad idea.

pYpHQ5I.jpg

This is my li'l corn snake buddy Bill. He is white, but he's nonvenomous and surprisingly friendly. I didn't anticipate him being so interesting when I got him; I thought he would be kind of like a goldfish or something. He is very curious and comes out of his turtle shell hide every night at dinnertime (even when it's not his night for eating) just to see what I'm eating. I guess maybe he thinks macaroni smells better than frozen mice.

However, I've never been sure why people like to own deadly snakes. I mean, it's great if you have some for milking so people can make antivenin, but just for a pet seems a little suicidal.

pYpHQ5I.jpg

This is my li'l corn snake buddy Bill. He is white, but he's nonvenomous and surprisingly friendly. I didn't anticipate him being so interesting when I got him; I thought he would be kind of like a goldfish or something. He is very curious and comes out of his turtle shell hide every night at dinnertime (even when it's not his night for eating) just to see what I'm eating. I guess maybe he thinks macaroni smells better than frozen mice.

However, I've never been sure why people like to own deadly snakes. I mean, it's great if you have some for milking so people can make antivenin, but just for a pet seems a little suicidal.
Very nice snake. When people own venomous snakes and don't take care if them they put others at risk not just themselves. I really think these animals should be left in the wild or zoological facilities.

This is near my moms house. Although not close enough for her to be in any danger, She is still out of her mind.
Ignorant people of the world make it tuff for the rest of us.

I have a Red Tail Boa named Apep(Egyptian Snake God ) and a King Snake named Karma.
artmax_1005.jpg

Apep is a bit iffy sometimes and likes to bite even though I feed her every week, she is about 3 in a half feet long now, but when she is out of her cage she is very sweet, likes to sit on your head and likes to play with boxes, I'm pretty sure she wants to be a cat.
Karma is very curious and loves to wrap around your wrist and rub her face on your hand. I love snakes, they are amazing creatures.

I have always been fascinated by Cobras, but would never want to own one on the account that I would not be able to handle it :(

My SIL told me about a college roommate or possibly get sister. This chick owned a boa from the time it was a hatchling. She loved it like most people love puppies. It even slept coiled next to her in bed every night. One night the snake stopped coiling so she takes it to a vet. Was it sick? Nnnnnopppppe. Apparently her beloved was sizing her up..... for a meal. I love reptiles and amphibians, but there's a line.

My SIL told me about a college roommate or possibly get sister. This chick owned a boa from the time it was a hatchling. She loved it like most people love puppies. It even slept coiled next to her in bed every night. One night the snake stopped coiling so she takes it to a vet. Was it sick? Nnnnnopppppe. Apparently her beloved was sizing her up..... for a meal. I love reptiles and amphibians, but there's a line.

LOL I've heard that story many times, I do not sleep with my snakes, I sleep with my cats.
I think that story is a scare tactic. But if you are stupid enough to sleep with a snake then maybe you deserve to at least lose a finger or leg

She had actually met this person. But yeah, agreed. Its a wild animal. It needs its own sleeping arrangements.

@KaOnA , that was a king?? They never got that pretty where I grew up. Oh, but that red tail....oh my! that is by far one of the prettiest species I've seen. yep, now I want one.

@KaOnA , that was a king?? They never got that pretty where I grew up. Oh, but that red tail....oh my! that is by far one of the prettiest species I've seen. yep, now I want one.

Be careful with Red Tails, they have to be socialized a lot because they can be quite unpredictable.
They are sometimes....moody. Lol

I don't think Id be too worried if I was bit. They said, what, the venom can kill in hours? Enough time to clean the shit I just took in my pants, and hustle down to the ER. Im cool with that.

I don't think Id be too worried if I was bit. They said, what, the venom can kill in hours? Enough time to clean the shit I just took in my pants, and hustle down to the ER. Im cool with that.
Except they wont have
.antivenom will be flown in from the San Diego Zoo.

oops I'm dead

You can stop worrying!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/deadly-albino-cobra-captured-in-tony-l-a-neighbourhood-1.2756476

Deadly albino cobra captured in tony L.A. neighbourhood
Still unclear who owned the Asian reptile, usually illegal in California

Television reports showed officers using a long-handled tong-like grabber to haul the snake from a pile of scrap lumber in a backyard and put it in a long wooden box. It was taken to an animal shelter.
[....]
The snake, which is several feet long, had been on the loose since at least Monday evening, when it reportedly bit a dog. However, the veterinarian who treated the animal said it appeared that the dog wasn't bitten but was hurt while trying to escape the snake, KNBC-TV reported.
[....]
The cobra apparently escaped from captivity, although authorities had not found the owner. Dowling said Thursday that investigators are following "a few leads" on where the snake came from.

That's an old urban legend. Snakes don't "measure" their food before they eat it. That's why every once in a while, they eat something too large or pointy and rupture their own stomachs.

Even if they were smart enough to measure their food, it wouldn't be against the length of their bodies. The rule of thumb for feeding a snake is to measure the food against the width of the snake's head. If it's too wide, they won't be able to swallow it. Although that doesn't stop Bill from trying to eat his frozen mice horizontally instead of vertically, bless his slow little heart.

Bless his slow little heart, lol!! thats got to be entertaining, if its not harmful to the snake.

I can see the sizing up being a legend, but she still slept with it.... don't know if I'd have the balls lol.

Bless his slow little heart, lol!! thats got to be entertaining, if its not harmful to the snake.
It's not harmful. He can't eat it that way, though, so he'll just try for about ten minutes and give up like "I just don't know what's wrong with me today!" and you have to offer it to him again headfirst.

Back