• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Abroad

Veteran Member
A three-week-old baby boy has died after being bitten by a dog in Sunderland.

The boy, named locally as Reggie, was attacked at a house in Falkland Road at about 04:15 BST.

He was taken to hospital where he later died. Police said the small terrier dog had been removed from the address and was likely to be destroyed.

Northumbria Police said a 30-year-old man had been arrested in connection with the incident.

A family member, who did not want be identified, said the baby's mother - named locally as Maria Blacklin - was not in the house when the youngster was attacked.

The man said the baby's mother never left her son alone with the dog and she was devastated by what had happened.

Police said the family's dog posed no threat to the wider public and is now in secure kennels.

Everybody you speak to in this quiet tree-lined street knows the family of little Reggie.

His proud mum had introduced him to their neighbours in recent days.

They also knew the family had a dog, a small terrier which they believed had a good temperament. It obviously didn't.

[...]

A relative came by to tell us the terrier dog was usually kept in a brick outhouse at night. He couldn't understand why the dog was in the house. He also told us the dog was always well behaved around the other children in the home.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-33211099

oI36ICd.jpg

RIP little Reggie, look at those cheeks.

The Mirror & DailyMail said Patterdale Terrier which looks like this
nSoIwrKm.jpg
(Long hair Patterdale)

A terrier like that is bred to chase and catch rats rodent and vermin, it's nature for them. I bet he saw the small baby as prey for him. Sad state of affairs, for both the family and the dog because I'm sure he going to be put down, I know I'd want him put down, but he was only doing what comes naturally to him. I'm so sorry the baby died. I wish this was a perfect world and we could know our mistakes before they happen.

Reggie was only 3 weeks old, it's possible that the dog was jealous. The dog may have been the "baby" before Reggie and once Reggie was born the dog got jealous.

It's not unheard of for dogs to react that way to a new baby. When I had my oldest son, the NICU sent home a blanket he had been swaddled in so my dogs (Pomeranian and a Shih Tzu) could get used to his scent and hopefully not react poorly when he came home from the hospital.

Reggie was only 3 weeks old, it's possible that the dog was jealous. The dog may have been the "baby" before Reggie and once Reggie was born the dog got jealous.

It's not unheard of for dogs to react that way to a new baby. When I had my oldest son, the NICU sent home a blanket he had been swaddled in so my dogs (Pomeranian and a Shih Tzu) could get used to his scent and hopefully not react poorly when he came home from the hospital.
Very true Krystal. My parents had a small breed dog when I was born, and it was very jealous. I still have scars on my wrist where it bit me.

This sounds more like prey drive than jealousy. Terriers are specifically bred to take small animals. Exactly where on the body the infant was bitten would be telling.

My dog did not deal well with baby girl when we brought her home. I sent him to live with my ex for a few weeks. When he got back we worked on his behavior. We never left him alone with the baby. If we left room he either went outside or with us.

Last edited:
A father who drunkenly slept through a sustained fatal attack by the family's terrier on his three-week-old son was jailed for 21 months today.

Reggie Young's mother, Maria Blacklin, screamed in horror when she came home to find the baby barely alive, with partner Ryan Young and Lakeland Terrier-cross Tricky asleep.

Newcastle Crown Court heard that the attack by the foot-tall dog could easily have been stopped, but the father did not wake up and the mauling may have lasted up to 20 minutes.

Young later told police he had drunk eight cans of Foster's lager, and a taxi driver came forward to say he had been asked to deliver eight more to the address in Sunderland on the evening in June 2015.

Reggie was blue but still breathing and paramedics were called but he could not be saved. Young later told police: 'I would not say I was drunk, more tired.'

Shaun Dodds, prosecuting, said: 'The officers who arrived described the defendant as appearing drunk.'

He refused to give a breath test and the amount he had drunk was not clear.

Inquiries suggested the baby fell or was dragged from the bouncer and was mauled by the terrier.

The animal had not been introduced to the newborn and may have been driven to attack by Reggie's 'unco-ordinated' movements.

Mr Dodds said: 'Had the defendant not been asleep in drink, he would have been able to stop the attack.'

Young, who admitted being the owner of dog that resulted in the death while dangerously out of control at a previous hearing, wept loudly throughout the proceedings.

Young carried his son's coffin ahead of his funeral service, Caroline Goodwin QC, defending, said.

'He is absolutely devastated,' she said. 'Nothing he can do can turn back the clock and bring back his own child.

Judge Gittens said Young's alcohol intake that night 'significantly intoxicated' him, 'if not to the point of stupor, then into a very deep sleep'.

He said: 'Reggie was subjected to a most dreadful, torturous, confusing attack and he sustained horrific and painful injuries.'

The judge accepted that Young, a hard-working father, had developed depression and post-traumatic stress disorder in which he repeatedly experienced the aftermath of the terrier attack.

He said: 'I am satisfied that your lack of control of your animal was due to the influence of alcohol and your selfish decision to drink to excess after a hard day at work.'

The judge jailed Young for 21 months and banned him from keeping a dog for seven years.

No family members were in court for the sentencing hearing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4865106/Father-dangerous-dog-mauled-baby-son-jailed.html

Judge Gittens, You stupid Prick this POS father did not experience a dog attack, his son did. I could give a bloody tampon about his depression. I hope he is devastated and wakes up every day knowing he is responsible for the death of his son. I am also relieved (sarcasm) that you Judge Gittens are satisfied because it seems your feelings are more important than a baby that was brutally mauled because their father is a piece of shit.

4409CA0C00000578-4865106-The_judge_jailed_Young_for_21_months_and_banned_him_from_keeping-m-115_1504876634944.jpg

Terrier huh? I assume staffordshire terrier, aka pitbull? Why not call it a fucking pitbull.

Ah, didnt read that.

Well that's a sweet looking dog. Musth ave been abused or something for it to attack someone like this.

Ah, didnt read that.

Well that's a sweet looking dog. Musth ave been abused or something for it to attack someone like this.
That breed of dog is bred to attack and kill vermin.
They don't need to be abused to do that, it comes naturally.

That breed of dog is bred to attack and kill vermin.
They don't need to be abused to do that, it comes naturally.
They are bred to be brave and strong enough to kill badgers and foxes, you know, things bigger and more fierce than a baby.

The animal had not been introduced to the newborn and may have been driven to attack by Reggie's 'unco-ordinated' movements.
A relative came by to tell us the terrier dog was usually kept in a brick outhouse at night. He couldn't understand why the dog was in the house.
The guy got shit faced, passed out and the dog was left in the house.

They are bred to be brave and strong enough to kill badgers and foxes, you know, things bigger and more fierce than a baby.
That video pretty much says it. Unless you belong to the small niche of people who hunt with working terriers, you should not own one. http://www.terrierman.com (One of the blogs I follow.)

Oh, and if you are so anxious to quaff 16 Foster's that you can't even put the dog in the shed to protect your own baby, then you shouldn't own one.

Last edited:
Back