• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Blunderbuss Firozabad

Made of Pumpkin pie
Bold Member!
No, it is not at all normal to kill dogs on ranchs or farms.
Dogs aren't picked willy-nilly because they're cute. There's not a lot of excess money for farmers and ranchers to spend on anything but a carefully selected animal that serves a purpose, gets trained by the owner, and works.
Real ranchers and farmers can't afford multiple hunting dogs like ....well, people like THIS:
( from an article in the Dakota Free Press years ago)

"The Noems have an attractive, modern home on a fetching old farmstead with a nice, East-River-type pasture nearby. Good grass in that pasture when I was there for a profile on Noem late in 2010. But nothing there said “ranch” to me. She used to call it a farm, and sometimes a ranch, but lately has settled on ranch." :rolleyes:

1000014317.jpg

Cricket, a 14 month old German wirehaired pointer, "less than worthless" for "a hunting dog", shot thru the head by
Kristi Noem, 52, governor of South Dakota, pictured with her hair extensions, and her "See? Guns are sexy!" gun.

"Amid waves of backlash from both sides of the aisle, South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem on Sunday defended her decision to shoot and kill her 14-month-old puppy named Cricket years ago.

“I can understand why some people are upset about a 20 year old story of Cricket, one of the working dogs at our ranch, in my upcoming book — No Going Back,” Noem wrote on TruthSocial."

"Noem, until recently widely viewed as a top contender to share the Republican ticket with former President Donald Trump, laid out the decision to kill the pup in her forthcoming memoir “No Going Back,” in a startling anecdote first picked up on by The Guardian.
The book is set to be released May 7; publicity for it says “this book is packed with surprising stories and practical lessons.”

"She included the bizarre anecdote, though, because she believes “people are looking for leaders who are authentic, willing to learn from the past, and don’t shy away from tough challenges,” i.e., shooting their own dog.
She added, for those wondering if criminal charges might be possible, that “South Dakota law states that dogs who attack and kill livestock can be put down.”"

Reaction from the German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America:

"“I’m not sure which thing she did was stupider: The fact that she murdered the dog, or the fact that she was stupid enough to publish it in a book,” said Joan Payton, of the German Wirehaired Pointer Club of America. The club itself described the breed as “high-energy,” and said Noem was too impatient and her use of a shock collar for training was botched.

That was a puppy that had no experience, obviously no training,” she said. “If you know a minuscule amount about a bird dog, you don’t take a 14 month old out with trained adult dogs and expect them to perform. That’s not how it works.”

"The club itself said puppies learn best by hunting one-to-one with their owners, not with other dogs."

More about the breed:

"The German Wirehaired Pointer traces its origins back to 1880. The breed originated in Germany, where Baron Sigismund von Zedlitz und Neukirch was a leading breeder, wanting to create a versatile hunting dog that would work closely with either one person or a small party of persons hunting on foot in varied terrain; from the mountainous regions of the Alps, to dense forests, to more open areas with farms and small towns.
The breed the Germans desired had to have a coat that would protect the dogs when working in heavy cover or in cold water, yet be easy to maintain."

"It is the result of the careful mixing and crossing of the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon, German Shorthaired Pointer, German Roughhaired Pointer, and the hunting Pudelpointer in the late 19th century."

"This is a dog that can fully respond to the needs of its hunter. The goal was to develop a wire-coated, medium-sized dog that could:

Search for, locate and point upland game
Work both feather and fur with equal skill and retrieve water fowl
Be a close-working, easily trained gun dog
Be able to track and locate wounded game
Be fearless when hunting "sharp" game such as fox
Be a devoted companion and pet; and
Be a watchdog for its owner's family and property."

She left the dog unattended in the back of her truck after coming home from a hunting outing where she hoped her older dogs would "teach" Cricket while she visited neighbors.
Cricket jumped out and killed some of the neighbor's chickens.

"But South Dakota Democratic Senate Minority Leader Reynold Nesiba considered the disclosure more calculated than stupid. He said the story has circulated for years among lawmakers that Noem killed a dog in a “fit of anger” and that there were witnesses. He speculated that it was coming out now because Noem is being vetted as a candidate for vice president."

"As we [Vanity Fair] wrote last week, “while the tales of dog- and goat-killing probably won’t play well with many Americans, as most famously love dogs and regard them as family members, they might actually win her points with the ex-president, who famously hates man’s best friend.”

Anyone who defends her is a moron.

Dog was worthless for hunting? Did she once think that maybe she's just a shitty teacher?

A lack of guidance, training and discipline?
Of course not.
The shock collar and the older dogs were supposed to do the work.

After dispatching Cricket she decided it would be a good time to get rid of the smelly goat:

"Her family, she writes, also owned a male goat that was “nasty and mean”, because it had not been castrated. Furthermore, the goat smelled “disgusting, musky, rancid” and “loved to chase” Noem’s children, knocking them down and ruining their clothes."

"Noem decided to kill the unnamed goat the same way she had just killed Cricket the dog. But though she “dragged him to a gravel pit”, the goat jumped as she shot and therefore survived the wound. Noem says she went back to her truck, retrieved another shell, then “hurried back to the gravel pit and put him down”.

At that point, Noem writes, she realised a construction crew had watched her kill both animals. The startled workers swiftly got back to work, she writes, only for a school bus to arrive and drop off Noem’s children.

“Kennedy looked around confused,” Noem writes of her daughter, who asked: “Hey, where’s Cricket?”"

She could have avoided all this blow back if she'd just had her granddaughter, Addie, do it...

"At a NRA lobbying leadership forum, Noem says her nearly 2-year-old granddaughter “already has a shotgun, and she already has a rifle.”

Don't we disapprove of 18-24 month old toddlers getting ahold of guns?
No wonder people think they can leave 2 year-olds alone while they're on vacation with leadership like this getting standing ovations when they say and do things like this.

Extremists ruin everything for everyone, everywhere.

She's been at DD before, but I was unaware of her until today.

This is just awful. Why in the AF does Cruella DeVille here do things like that?

The goat was smelly because he wasn't fixed. GET HIM FIXED! How difficult is that?

And to kill a puppy in cold blood because he killed chickens? And shock collars, just nope.

OMG, my blood is boiling!

I agree with @Angiebla: "Shes just a psychopath. I hope her granddaughter shoots her."

This is just awful. Why in the AF does Cruella DeVille here do things like that?

The goat was smelly because he wasn't fixed. GET HIM FIXED! How difficult is that?

And to kill a puppy in cold blood because he killed chickens? And shock collars, just nope.

OMG, my blood is boiling!

I agree with @Angiebla: "Shes just a psychopath. I hope her granddaughter shoots her."
The goat thing is equally ridiculous. Did she know a single thing about billy goats when she decided to get one?

Because I was thinking of getting goats, so I did this super difficult thing and I looked up what goats are like, and what do you know? Billy goats purposely piss on themselves to attract the ladies. All over their fronts and beards. This is their nature. A non smelly billy goat is the weird one. And like most males of herd animal species, they can be very aggressive. She murdered that goat for acting like a fucking goat.

The people talking about how this is normal farm life? No. Farmers are not out here killing farm animals for behaving like the animals they are. How the hell would they ever turn a profit if they did this?

Back