• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Yep. The whole thing is unfortunate. I think the only that could have helped was her insisting the doctors check her out if she was in so much pain. That may have prevented her death, which would have prevented the baby's death.

They did take her to the dr because of the pain and the dr prescribed oxy...which made her drowsy.

They did take her to the dr because of the pain and the dr prescribed oxy...which made her drowsy.

I wonder how long she was still in pain after seeing the doc. I would have insisted on being seen again if it was not getting better.

It also doesn't say he was the only adult in the house, it just said that's who the girls went to.
She was actually probably alone - more or less. But brother lived close and was in contact with other family and friends. This article says he lived in a separate apartment:
Marjorie Lyons’ brother made the tragic discovery around 9 a.m. after her twin 6-year-old girls came to his downstairs apartment on Legion Street in Brownsville in a panic.
[...]

“I spoke to her Sunday night,” said Marjorie’s father, Douglas. “We came down to see the baby. She was saying she had a slight fever. And she did go to the hospital this week for that slight fever.

“I think it was oxycodone for pain. She said the medication was making her too drowsy. That was her complaint. It subsided the pain, but it was making her very drowsy.

“I think it was oxycodone for pain. She said the medication was making her too drowsy. That was her complaint. It subsided the pain, but it was making her very drowsy.
[...]

“She was a great person,” said a pal, Simonette Adams, 32. “That was my best friend for 23 years. I just spoke to her last night.”
http://nypost.com/2013/10/10/mother-and-baby-found-dead-in-brooklyn-apartment/

She could have had a reaction or taken too much or something else totally unrelated. When I was a single mom, I never had anyone come over and babysit me when I was ill. If she didn't think it was anything but unusual pain, she may have been relatively fine until the moment whatever killed her hit.

I think at this point it's safe to say at this point that this is nothing but a horrible tragedy and no one is really to blame. The only one who really could have changed the outcome died and most likely did not anticipate that. The only way you could assign blame in this situation is if we somehow knew that she intended to die on top of her child, and that's just crazy. It also seems to me that those who chose to involve co-sleeping and the activities of people who we know were not even present as part of the discussion, are really just trying to blame someone/anyone and jumped to conclusions unsupported by the evidence, when the only explanation supported by the facts is that this was just a tragic accident.

This is NOT a black and white issue. There is a HUGE grey area. People nowadays like to hop on their soap boxes and tell everyone how they know better than we do because they're the smartest person they've ever known...uh hem....the fact is, none of us were there and no one wants to hear the blah blah blahs of shoulda coulda woulda....so stop attacking our modern co-sleeping mothers just because YOU don't agree with it; saying they have no common sense. Whiney know it all judgmental bitches. Stay focused. This is awful, shame on anyone for pointing fingers.

I've fell asleep holding/nursing both of my boys when they were babies and it would scare the shit out of me! It's like on The Simpson's and Homer falls asleep while doing something and he is dreaming and driving about dreaming at the same time! I was just that damn sleep deprived. Feel awful for this family.

How does the saying go? "There for the grace of god go I"

When my youngest sister was brought home and there was no place for her she was kept in a dresser drawer until my parents could get a bassinet. The drawer was pulled out of dresser and kept by the side of the bed.

Made me think of The Best Christmas Pageant Ever

This is very sad. Personally I wouldn't sleep with an infant. I have crazy nightmares and talk/scream in my sleep. The kid would be traumatized. I scare my fiancé and the dog. He'll wake up and say Jesus Christ and I crack up and go back to sleep.

Co-sleeping was never something I did simply because I didn't want to try to break my boys of the habit when they got older. Our bedroom is our little child-free haven for adult time which may or may not be of the x-rated variety. So, to each their own on that. But I have had 2 natural, 100% drug-free births and 1 emergency c-section and personally I didn't take anything for pain at all, I didn't find it that bad, certainly not even close enough to take Oxy. But, I may just be weird.

An autopsy was scheduled for the following Friday, but I can't find anything after that.

My c-sections were 34 and 29 years ago but I don't remember taking any pain meds either, at least nothing more powerful than a tylenol OTC. The second time I thought I was going to drown from all the fluid in my lungs and I had to sit and cough and cough and cough to get it all up and that shit hurt because it felt like I was ripping out my staples with every cough. I was home doing housework in a week, so no time for me to be sick and puny.

Co-sleeping was never something I did simply because I didn't want to try to break my boys of the habit when they got older. Our bedroom is our little child-free haven for adult time which may or may not be of the x-rated variety. So, to each their own on that. But I have had 2 natural, 100% drug-free births and 1 emergency c-section and personally I didn't take anything for pain at all, I didn't find it that bad, certainly not even close enough to take Oxy. But, I may just be weird.
I don't think that's weird. I think the pain meds after c-sec is new. I've asked older women that had c-sec in the past and they all have said no pain pills were prescribed. I didn't take any after any of my 2 csec. But again everyones pain threshold is different.

I was prescribed Percocet the first time (15 yrs ago) but never took them..it felt like everyone was SCREAMING at me when I did. ;)

But as far as co-sleeping goes, I did it with both. Once they slept through the night they slept in their own bed, there was no transition really. The co-sleeping happened before & after nursing. Once they didn't nurse at night, no need.
My youngest is 9 & started sleeping through the night at 5 mos..... I STILL sleep as if there is a child next to me, old habits die hard. I don't move all night.
Hubby always thinks I'm dead.

Back