• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Whisper

#byefelicia
2dkhlra.jpg
Carlena & Joshua Pinkerton​
PHOENIX (KSAZ) -
Police say a man died in what appears to be a horrifying case of abuse at the hands of his sister and her husband.

27-year-old Carlena Pinkerton and 31-year-old Joshua Pinkerton were charged with vulnerable adult abuse and second-degree murder.

Police say on June 1, the pair dropped off 22-year-old James Moore, who was mentally disabled, at the Phoenix Indian Hospital for treatment in an unresponsive state.

When hospital staffers took Moore inside, the Pinkertons, who were his legal caregivers, left.

Moore was examined and found to have two black eyes, head injuries, bruising all over his body, along with open wounds on his legs, arms, hips, back and torso. Several bone fractures and dislocations to his nose, hip, femur and right arm were diagnosed.

The victim also had a collapsed lung, acute renal failure due to dehydration, malnutrition and sepsis because the wounds were infected with a flesh eating bacteria. Police say Moore had a 1" object embedded in his throat which was swollen and infected as well.

Due to the severity of his injuries, Moore was transported to Banner Good Samaritan hospital where staffers tried to save his life.

When police interviewed the Pinkertons at their home, they denied knowing about the injuries, except for a small scrape on Moore's nose. They claimed they didn't know how the injuries occurred.

The Pinkertons were arrested on June 4 after police served a search warrant on their home near 56th Avenue and Earll. Evidence indicated that at some point, Moore was locked in a room for periods of time.

Neighbors had heard screams from the house, but had no way of knowing what was going on inside. They were stunned to learn of the torture going on next door.
[...]
Authorities say Moore was held as a prisoner in a tiny space where the water heater was located in the house -- a space for him measuring 2 feet by 4 feet. It was locked from the outside so he could not get out.

Police say the Maricopa County Medical Examiner's office found signs of ongoing torture. When the 6 foot tall Moore died, he weighed 100 pounds. The medical examiner determined that this was abuse, neglect and a homicide.
http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/story/18703774/2012/06/05/caregivers-arrested
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A 22-year-old mentally disabled man is dead after sustaining at least a dozen injuries, allegedly at the hands of family members.

Joshua and Carlena Pinkerton, the man's brother-in-law and sister, brought him to the hospital Friday after he collapsed in the bathtub, and a doctor called Phoenix police after noticing bruising, scrapes, puncture wounds, an infected wound, dehydration, and low body temperature and body weight.

The man ended up dying, and an autopsy revealed more injuries, including a dislocated shoulder, a puncture in his arm, a possible broken nose, several bone fractures, a bruised testicle, injuries inside of his mouth, and a flesh-eating virus.
According to court documents obtained by New Times, the Pinkertons brought the man to a medical center, telling staff that he had been vomiting and not eating recently.

The Pinkertons then left.
[...]
Bruising on his knees was suspected to be a result of crawling. A puncture pattern on his thigh matched that of a "chicken wire structure" found on the roof of the Pinkertons' home.

The man weighed about 90 pounds and had a body temperature of less than 93 degrees, according to the documents.

Phoenix Police Officer James Holmes tells New Times the man also had a chicken bone lodged in his throat.

Police went to the Pinkertons' home with some questions, and Carlena Pinkerton pointed police to the man's room. Court documents describe officers "noticed only a few items in the room, which included a litter box and a chair."

Holmes adds that detectives suspect the Pinkertons also kept the man locked in a 2-foot-by-4-foot closet some times.

The Pinkertons told police that the man -- who's lived with them since 2008 -- was the only other person who lived in the house, aside from their 8-year-old child.

They told police they'd never taken their family member to a doctor since he's lived with them and explained that they only took him to the hospital after collapsing in the bathtub.

The autopsy was performed yesterday.

That's when it was discovered by the medical examiner that the man also had a dislocated shoulder, a puncture in his arm, a possible broken nose, several bone fractures, a bruised testicle, injuries inside of his mouth, a flesh-eating virus, sores, a collapsed lung, and various other cuts and bruises, according to the documents. Holmes adds that the man also had renal failure.

The sores were possibly caused by the man lying in his own urine and feces, according to the court documents.

Police described the man's injuries as "abusive, neglectful, and tortuous."

The Pinkertons told police they "had not observed" myriad injuries to their family member, and both told police that they just noticed that he was getting lethargic over the past few weeks.
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/valleyfever/2012/06/joshua_carlena_pinkerton_murder.php

First, if he had something imbedded in his neck did they think that would be considered, I don't know, odd by the hospital staff? Lethargy, falling down REALLY isn't what would be noticed first by people.

Makes me wonder how family gets "custody" of mentally impaired relatives? Were the parents doing even worse?? How do they slip under the radar?

And SCREAMS that neighbors ignored?? Ok, if I heard a few I wouldn't pay it any mind probably but if it kept happening? Hmmmm...

I'm just shocked this sort of thing happens as often as it does. It would be better to just give him over to the state & say you weren't up to the task. What's better? Guilt or prison?

Neighbors had heard screams from the house, but had no way of knowing what was going on inside.

Except for calling the police. I mean. Then they would have known. But who wants to call the police over what was undoubtedly prolonged, agonized screaming?

Except for calling the police. I mean. Then they would have known. But who wants to call the police over what was undoubtedly prolonged, agonized screaming?

exactly,this "its none of my business I dont want to get involved"
has gone to far and to many are dying b.c
"its not my business"
christ just give someone elses name when you call
LOL Its really that simple

When police interviewed the Pinkertons at their home, they denied knowing about the injuries, except for a small scrape on Moore's nose. They claimed they didn't know how the injuries occurred.

So the abuse fairy magically showed up? *rolls eyes*

What I don't understand is that most of these so called family "caretakers" do this for the check they get for taking care of their family members. Don't they realize that once the person dies the checks stop? I mean we know they obviously don't give a shit about the family member, but you would think they would care enough about the money to make sure the person they are taking care of is taken care of well enough to live so they can keep collecting that check....

So the abuse fairy magically showed up? *rolls eyes*
Depending on how long you lurked here, you should know that there is no abuse fairy. It's the couch, the bathtub, the stairs, and occasionally the lamp.
HOWEVER, your abuse fairy theory is more plausible than all the excuses we've heard here.

I know funds are tight but surely there were welfare checks of some kind? Agree with you all so far, think those two need stringing up by their most sensitive parts, Death would be too easy, must be others who can't sleep at night over this too though, I know I couldn't have missed this in my caseload without at least a warning, and a self guilt trip for life.

I have a cousin with m.d. and is mentally retarded. He lived with his mother all of his life til she died then his brother. The government doesn't check on them. Once a year they have to fill out forms telling what his money was spent on, and about 10 or 15 years ago he had to go to some gov. doctor to prove he was still alive and that is it. Now my cousin is taken care of and no one has ever abused him. Just saying the government doesn't get involved unless they know of a problem. Probably the same with this case.

I have a cousin with m.d. and is mentally retarded. He lived with his mother all of his life til she died then his brother. The government doesn't check on them. Once a year they have to fill out forms telling what his money was spent on, and about 10 or 15 years ago he had to go to some gov. doctor to prove he was still alive and that is it. Now my cousin is taken care of and no one has ever abused him. Just saying the government doesn't get involved unless they know of a problem. Probably the same with this case.

I don't know how to fix the problem....but I wonder if when a doctor sees a patient with severe mental impairment if a mandatory gov't form should be filled out on that person? I don't know....is that getting the gov't TOO involved?
We'd hope that as a human we could just take care of our own but as we see on the DD that soooooo isn't the case. :(

It seems in the UK anyone who claims welfare/benefits has to prove their disability on a regular basis. Most of it is based on filling out forms which a relative/carer could fake, but they do call folks in for medicals. Slightly scary with the recent budget cuts they have cut social services, so people who really need a designated worker don't always get one. We should be taking care of our own, but some folk just see disability as a way to make a profit. So much for the civilised half of the world.

Couple pleads not guilty to torturing mentally disabled man
Posted on June 20, 2012 - azfamily.com
PHOENIX -- A Phoenix couple has entered a not guilty plea to charges that they tortured a mentally disabled man who eventually died.

Carlena Pinkerton, 27, and Joshua Pinkerton, 31, were in court Wednesday where they pleaded not guilty to charges of second-degree murder and vulnerable adult abuse.

The Pinkertons were caregivers for Carlena’s brother, 22-year-old James Roy Moore, who suffered from severe mental retardation.

On June 1, the couple dropped Moore off at the Phoenix Indian Hospital in an unresponsive state. He was eventually transported to Banner Good Samaritan Hospital where he died.

Staff at the hospital called police when they noticed that Moore’s injuries included two black eyes, a collapsed lung, closed-head injuries, and multiple fractures. He had also suffered from dehydration and malnutrition, and had a 1-inch-long object in his throat, which was infected and swollen.

The Pinkertons denied abusing Moore, but during a search of their home police discovered a 2-by-4-foot room that contained just a water heater and a drain.

Investigators said evidence suggested that Moore had been kept in the room for long periods of time.

Carlena and Joshua Pinkerton were arrested in connection with Moore’s death on June 4. They’re due back in court on August 7.

JamesRoyMoore.jpg

James Roy Moore

A chicken coop on the roof? A bone stuck in his throat? A flesh-eating virus?
...and the list of fucked up shit that happened to this poor young man goes on and on and on.

I'm so damn disgusted and horrified by this story, I don't think I have words that can convey how this story makes me. :rant:

Someone should shave their fat with a meat slicer. Slowly and make sure to make the lard as thin as possible too. Fucking evil bitches.

You know, I really don't get this. I debate calling the cops when my neighbors are merely setting off fireworks or slightly drunk and cursing at each other in the back yard. I can't fathom not calling if there were screaming. I guess these folks were likable and on excellent terms with their neighbors to get cut that much slack.

Neighbors had heard screams from the house, but had no way of knowing what was going on inside. They were stunned to learn of the torture going on next door.
I got nothin' to say. I'm speechless.

On Friday, Carlena Pinkerton, 29, was sentenced to 13 years in prison. She had pleaded guilty in May to second-degree murder and vulnerable-adult abuse.
Joshua Pinkerton pleaded guilty to manslaughter and vulnerable-adult abuse and was sentenced to seven years in prison.
Both will be placed on lifetime probation following their prison terms.
The Pinkertons were the legal caregivers for James Moore, who died in a hospital a day after they left him there in 2012.
Police said Carlena Pinkerton told doctors that Moore collapsed in the bathtub fully clothed. But hospital employees noticed Moore had injuries indicative of abuse and was severely dehydrated and underweight, records show.
An autopsy revealed signs of past abuse, including a previously dislocated shoulder, several healing fractures and sores throughout his body that doctors suspected were caused by lying in urine and feces.
On Friday, Moore's family told Judge Roland Steinle of Maricopa County Superior Court that Moore was a kind and loving person who would never have hurt anyone but that his last memories were of pain and suffering.
Moore was nearly 22 years old, but family members say he had the cognition of a child and depended on the Pinkertons for care and support.
In a letter to Steinle, Moore's grandmother said that it haunted her that he probably went to bed hungry and in pain and that now all she can do is take flowers and toys to his grave.
Carlena Pinkerton remained silent throughout the hearing, not once addressing Steinle or her family.
In response to inquiries from his mother-in-law, Joshua Pinkerton made only one statement: "No," he said. "It wasn't worth it."

I don't know about anyone else but I would be so guilt ridden I would have shot myself knowing thath I could not live with myself. Maybe a light will go off in their head one day and they'll suddenly remember treating this poor guy like a piece of shit and remember where all of those injuries and health issues came from. FROM THEM! I doubt it but it's nice thought. Of course they will get better treatment, food, health care, living conditions, than their victim ever got. I really wish the judicial system was more of the side of physical punishment like you are guilty of doing this crime and doing such and such to this person. While you are in prison you will be subjected to same treatment as you gave to your victim for a span of time. That's the only way I feel people are ever going to learn in this day and age of "IT'S ALL ABOUT ME ME ME".

They didn't get enough time, not nearly enough.

13 years and 7 years is a fucking joke. I feel like the courts have basically said that the victim's life wasn't worth shit with those sentences. People get longer sentences on drug charges or thefts, here a man lost his life and they get basically a slap on the wrist. It's bullshit.

Where the fuck is justice in thirteen years?! She'll probably get out early too :rage:

Edit: He got seven years. SEVEN!?!?! Gahhh no justice to be had for poor James Moore.

I got nothin' to say. I'm speechless.

Right there with you. I'm fucking disgusted.

Police described the man's injuries as "abusive, neglectful, and tortuous."
So they get a damn flick of the switch across the back of their legs and now everything's peachy pie? This man was treated like an animal, no most of us wouldn't treat our pets like that, this man was treated like fucking cockroach.

They were stunned to learn of the torture going on next door.

No. Stunned is when you find out the little Stepford Housewife of your neighborhood sacrificed her whole family in a satanic ritual. Or idk some crazy shit like that. When you hear a man's screams coming from a house on multiple occasions and most likely other signs of abuse, yet refuse to so much as pick up a damn phone as an anonymous tipster, you're apathetic trash who doesn't want to appear as much of a fuck as you are so now you're "stunned" about the torture.
Hey, whatever helps ya sleep at night.

Back