• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

WryBread

Okay, which was does she turn for you? Can you reverse her? What technique do you use -- is it easy or difficult?

Do you agree with your left or right brain designation?

If you don't believe in left-right brain stuff, what explanation satisfies you about this test? What is it testing?

I find the music rather mesmerizing.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CEr2GfGilw"]YouTube - The Right Brain vs Left Brain test - Optical Illusion[/ame]

Wow, that was cool! She turned clockwise for me. But I was able to change directions 4 times by blinking and thinking about it! Maybe the video really did it, but I was always able to change it back!

Now I guess i'll have to figure out how right and left brained people are different!

I'm right brained

Last edited:
LEFT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses logic
detail oriented
facts rule
words and language
present and past
math and science
can comprehend
knowing
acknowledges
order/pattern perception
knows object name
reality based
forms strategies
practical
safe RIGHT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses feeling
"big picture" oriented
imagination rules
symbols and images
present and future
philosophy & religion
can "get it" (i.e. meaning)
believes
appreciates
spatial perception
knows object function
fantasy based
presents possibilities
impetuous
risk taking

This was weird. I didn't see anything except clockwise movement until the "need help changing direction part". Then, when I went back I couldn't see anything but anti clockwise, even when I watched the clockwise "need help" part again. I will try again later.

EDIT: Watched it again an hour later and initially I saw clockwise. I was able to switch it up, though.

Last edited:
The video said most would see her as "anti-clockwise". I see her as clockwise. She only goes counterclockwise when I don't focus directly on her (kinda at her feet). I can change at will, though. Wild.

The video said most would see her as "anti-clockwise". I see her as clockwise. She only goes counterclockwise when I don't focus directly on her (kinda at her feet). I can change at will, though. Wild.

Just means we have more imagination! It is very cool though! I'd lay bets most people on this site are right brained.

She changes direction about every two seconds if you stare at her left foot.

I guess I am a toss up...since the first thing I noticed was change rather than direction...

LEFT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses logic
detail oriented
facts rule
words and language
present and past
math and science
can comprehend
knowing
acknowledges
order/pattern perception
knows object name
reality based
forms strategies
practical
safe RIGHT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
uses feeling
"big picture" oriented
imagination rules
symbols and images
present and future
philosophy & religion
can "get it" (i.e. meaning)
believes
appreciates
spatial perception
knows object function
fantasy based
presents possibilities
impetuous
risk taking

That's all me, baby!!!

When I click back on it and forward on it, she changes direction over and over. I don't think it's how it says. I think it changes on its own.

When I click back on it and forward on it, she changes direction over and over. I don't think it's how it says. I think it changes on its own.

I wondered about this, too. Someone said they saw her change at 1:58. I saw a change a few times before that point, but saw nothing at 1:58. I guess the thing to do might be to jot down when you see her change, watch it again, jot down the times again and compare lists.

One thing I've noticed is that sometimes I can change her more easily than others. I've seen the tape several times while sending it to people. So if it's doing it itself, wouldn't it be as easy/hard each time?

I still don't understand how the brain does the switching.

In a still picture where you "see the young woman or the hag" it's by concentrating on different parts of the picture, but how does a moving image completely change direction? Please educated DDers, tell me!

Athena?

Ok, I see her changing directions on the gif version but never saw it on the video version. Weird! In the video, I just saw her spinning clockwise until they reversed her towards the end. But broken is right...I concentrated on her left foot and got her to switch in the gif one.

I had my daughter Kira in here watching it with me last night, at the same time I saw her going clockwise, Kira saw her going counter clockwise. She couldn't make her change direction at all and I was able to change her 5 times.

So.......... maybe it just really is how your brain works.

Wow. All I could see was clockwise. And my son is sitting here and he said, "She keeps changing directions...see? See? See? See?" I felt like I was at the mall ten years ago when those 3-D posters first came out and everyone could "see" the hidden images but me.

So, I watched the whole video where they show the "clues". Then I could see the "counter clockwise" when I went back to the beginning, but had a hard time seeing the clockwise again. So I had to go back to the clues again. I feared I permanently scrambled my natural brain! :dong: After a rest, I am back to seeing clockwise again. I have a hard time transitioning without the clues given to me in the video.

BTW, concentrating on the foot didn't help me at all, either. My brain is stubborn.

Last edited:
I still don't understand how the brain does the switching.

In a still picture where you "see the young woman or the hag" it's by concentrating on different parts of the picture, but how does a moving image completely change direction? Please educated DDers, tell me!

Athena?

It is an illusion. The figure itself is not dimensional therefore it has no "real" direction. In actuality it's not turning...it's flipping. Your conscious mind, given the misnomer of the study, is consciously looking for a turn in direction. Your other minds are seeing it flip since this is most logical.

Look at her feet, or rather the shadow of her foot on the floor, you can change it at will.

damnit, all i see is her standing on her right foot going counter-clockwise. i can't make it change or anything. i suck.

I love these optical illusion things! I couldn't get the original link to work. With the gif I first saw counter-clockwise and it wouldn't change. But if I 'unfocus', (like with those magic-eye pictures), I can make her 'switch' direction at will.

[MENTION=11]brokenandtwisted[/MENTION], why would unfocusing my eyes make it seem like it was changing direction? I can't remember what the explanation was for it working with those magic-eye pics.

[MENTION=1772]ohmarvellousme![/MENTION] Because if you look at the flipping carefully, she's actually two-dimensional because her arms are perfectly aligned when her ankle is facing you.

I just can't see it as flipping, even though broken sez it is. I still see it as spinning. Does that make me gullible, or suggestible? :tinfoil32: Or maybe I'm trying too hard, :crazy:

It's weird. I couldn't get it to switch by looking at it but when I looked away and then looked back, she was going in a different direction. I must be weird.

I've always been told that left-handed people are the only ones in their "right" minds......

Back