• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Dogs, just like people, learn this kind of behavior. This isn’t rocket science but it does take effort and time. If you don’t want your dogs to be violent and aggressive, you have to be a involved owner and teach them to curb those tendencies. Same for kids- if you don’t want them to run wild then you have to be a vigilant parent and teach them to not behave like that.
Some what that is true. I never and i mean never play tug o war. I dont play slap fight like some people do. All those things encourage bad behavior.
That being said, genetics also play a part in temperament. Its not just nurture vs nature. Its a mix of both.

I looked it up and I want to thank you! I love my little guy and anything I can learn on my part to be a better Dog parent is time well spent.
Ah, great to hear!

I never and i mean never play tug o war. I dont play slap fight like some people do.
Based on what I've read and done, your intuition is 100% correct, those are stupid things to do with a dog, unless it is a specific kind of tug of war that is used for bite training. When that is done it's not real tug of war, the toy is relinquished to the dog as a reward. There's a right way to do that if someone is doing it, not that I'm pro at it but just saying.

I read a story once of an owner who was torturing their pit bull or rotty or something like that with a game called "keep away".. such a game would be psychological torture for a dog and only fun for the sadistic owner. The story existed because the dog eventually got pissed off enough to kill or maim the owner, I forget which.

If you're pretty familiar with canine behavior, just think of yourself as another dog when dealing with a dog. You're the "new" pack leader, so they expect you to act like it and the pack leader behavior is something they understand and respond to readily. If you watch pack leaders, they're pretty business like and we can carry this into our training by not baby talking, giving out treats for no reason, insisting commands be followed correctly, etc. It's not rocket science, but there is some science and common sense involved. You can see where an uncommitted or plain lazy dog owner can fail miserably at training and even be unwittingly encouraging some of the very behaviors they wish to change.

If anything I say is incorrect, I welcome Keep or others to set me straight.

Back