• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Morbid

Rooster Illusion
Staff member
Avid fans of Soulfly, SkullsNBones.com took a listen to the band's brand new album Omen and contend that "Some people call it the best Soulfly album ever, and it's hard to argue that point. From beginning to end, this CD is incredible. It's fast, it's heavy, it's old school, and it's easily one of my favorite records of 2010." Which is why they decided to give a track-by-track review of the album.

Read an excerpt of it below, go here to see the whole rundown, and above all else, take their worthy advice: "If you haven't picked this CD up yet, I highly suggest that you go to your nearest store immediately." Gotta get it online? We've got it here, and iTunes has it here.

"The album starts out with 'Bloodbath & Beyond', and what an opening song it is. Right from the start you can hear the old school influence shooting through your speakers. It reminds me of old school Sepultura with all the bands new influences merging together perfectly. Max sounds as strong as ever on this track, and it's only a preview of what's to come on the record."

"...'Great Depression', which opens with a thrashy riff that is just relentless. The riff is performed at a blistering pace, and the chorus comes in to crush you. If you're not headbanging and raising the horns during this chorus, something is wrong with you. Marc Rizzo has a sick solo in this song, and it's fun for me to hear his progression on each Soulfly album. His solo's are simply unlike any others, and there is no doubt that this track will be insane to hear live as well."

"Max wrote his first song about a serial killer for this album, and it's properly titled "Jeffrey Dahmer". The chorus chants "Jeffrey Dahmer, master cannibal. Jeffrey Dahmer, master of the gruesome." It's definitely one of the catchiest tracks on the album, but will most likely end up being my least favorite on "Omen". Not to say that it's a bad song at all, but the other songs have so many great parts, it's hard to compare them. A lot of my friends say it's their favorite song, so I could just be missing something. Listen and you be the judge!"

"My favorite riff is at the beginning of "Off With Their Heads". The riff is as powerful as anything they've written before with this band. There is a ton of Marc Rizzo on this song, and that's always fun for me. He has quick parts throughout the whole number that are mind blowing, and his parts keep the song going at a furious speed, until the huge breakdown happens at the midpoint of the song. This track is just an incredible display of Rizzo's talents, and it's easily one of my favorites on the album."

Now that you've seen a little bit of what SkullsNBones.com had to say about Omen, check out what Max Cavalera thinks of the album and his favorite songs on it RIGHT HERE.

More...

Back