• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/north-texas-horse-prefers-to-play-possum/235705762
[....]
A couple, who share a Facebook account under Mark N Kelley, in posted the video after an electrical contractor was called out to their property and reported back that they had found a dead horse on the couple's property. The woman explained the horse, named Pinto, plays dead all the time.

The woman asked if the horse's leg was straight in the air. The contractor said it was, due to rigor mortis. He to the woman he knew horses -- but clearly he didn't know Pinto.

The woman made her way out to the pasture and shot the video, which has now been shared nearly 200,000 times and viewed nearly 9 million times. (The video being referenced is at the link; can't embed.)
[....]
"Truth is, I don't know a thing about training horses," the couple posted. "If you just be kind, pet and talk to your animals - they will do just about anything you want them to do. It really takes no special training."

After the first video took off, the couple posted a second video of the horse playing possumfrom earlier in the day, before contractors arrived. Pinto is quite the actor!

That is the most hilarious thing I've seen in a while. Tho from the title I was picturing a horse hanging by his tail from a tree. o_O

Seems to be a happy horse but he definitely needs to lose weight. That may be part of the reason he does that. But he's not playing dead, he's lying on his back like he got stuck in a roll. My horse used to do that but only for a couple minutes. (He wasn't overweight just a thoroughbred with a funny personality.) It's a sign that the horse feels secure enough to relax in a vulnerable position. Nice.

@Keepalowprofile , what do you make of this? I've never seen anything like it, but I'd be worried if it were my pony!
I think someone taught him that.
I think he does it over and over because he's bored.
I was trick training a horse I used to own. The sorrel in this video

And on the days I wasn't working him, he would stand out in the pasture and do his tricks for his horse friends.
One time all the horses got out and he went to the neighbors house and jumped into the bed of their truck.

I think the horse in this video is lonely and he is reliving fun times. Notice there is no other horses in his pasture.
Horses need buddies or people who spend hours everyday with them.

He's funny and cute.

I think someone taught him that.
I think he does it over and over because he's bored.
I was trick training a horse I used to own. The sorrel in this video

And on the days I wasn't working him, he would stand out in the pasture and do his tricks for his horse friends.
One time all the horses got out and he went to the neighbors house and jumped into the bed of their truck.

I think the horse in this video is lonely and he is reliving fun times. Notice there is no other horses in his pasture.
Horses need buddies or people who spend hours everyday with them.

He's funny and cute.

If you click on the second video the couple uploaded, there is another pony in there with him.

He's funny and cute.
We had a goat that did this. Right at a school bus stop on the edge of our property line. Bloody goat did to get attention. If the kids did not entice the retched scrub brush eater with their lunch, he'd do the dying cock-roach position, running hooves sky up and all.
Have to admit, the kids did fatten up our dinner all winter in time for the sacrificial spring rut-n-cull.
I believe he never passed off his "funny" genes, even though he was a seasonal stud.

Last edited:
Back