• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

BreakTheSilence

In his 15 years of investigating child abuse cases, Evansville Police Detective Todd Seibert said the one he discovered Friday evening at Woodland Park Apartments was "by far the sickest I've seen."

Seibert, working off-duty security at the apartment complex, located at 2750 Lodge Ave., said he was in a hallway preparing to investigate an allegation by tenants at Woodland Park, of possible child abuse in an apartment there when he heard a man's loud voice coming through the wall.

He was cursing and threatening children and asking a woman why she had removed the tape from the children's mouths, the detective said.

Seibert said he called for assistance from a motor patrol officer, and when they entered the apartment, the officers found two children — a 2-year-old boy and a 4-year-old girl — bound by box packing tape to chairs from their chests to below their waists. Their hands were immobile, bound by the tape to their legs.

Their skin was bulging around the tape, Seibert said.

"You could see the compression marks when we took the tape off," Seibert said. "It was just sickening."

Hours of restraint

The man and woman — the children's parents — Brian Keith Shiver, 26, and Martina Maria Shiver, 25, told the officers the children had been taped for 9 1/2 hours on Friday, Seibert said.

The detective said the parents also said they had taped the children in a similar manner for five hours Thursday.

During the time they were taped, the children had not had diaper changes or been allowed to go to the bathroom, he said.

Although their mouths were not taped when the officers entered the apartment, Seibert said the Shivers admitted they had been earlier.

The detective said the children had been taped because they had been jumping on the bed "and doing the things kids that age do."

The children were taken into protective custody and were being examined in an emergency room Friday night, he said.

Brian Keith and Martina Maria Shiver were both lodged in the Vanderburgh County Jail where they were being held without bond.

Each was charged with two felony counts of criminal confinement, child abuse, criminal recklessness and battery on a child under 14.

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2011/feb/25/mom-dad-accused-of-taping-children-to-chairs-for/?partner=yahoo_feeds

Pictures:

Sperm Donor and Egg Donor:

2wfnz4n.jpg

Link I got the pictures from:
http://www.14wfie.com/story/14145711/two-children-found-duct-taped-in-evansville-apt

I just love that the dad joined the group to stop child abuse.

I wonder how many people that join those fb groups are abusers themselves. Maybe someone should post a link to the article on the wall of that group.

OMG those poor little kids. They were just being kids!!

Thank god the neighbour actually called for help!!

I think a fitting punishment for Keith Shiver and Martina Maria Shiver would be for them to be firmly taped to a chair. Of the electric variety.

Sadistic assholes.

An Evansville woman was sentenced to four years in prison Monday for not doing anything to free her children from chairs her husband bound them to with tape.

Martina Shiver’s attorney argued that she was not culpable because she had a mental disability and was dominated by her husband, Brian Shiver, who admitted he taped their son and daughter up.

Deputy Prosecutor Mike Perry argued the couple should receive the same sentence because Martina Shiver could have freed them.

Vanderburgh Circuit Court Judge Carl Heldt on Monday sentenced Martina Shiver, 25, to four years in prison, and Brian Shiver, 26, to six years incarceration. They appeared separately in court in April to plead guilty and again Monday for the sentencing.

Brian Shiver pleaded guilty to two counts of criminal confinement, two counts of neglect of a dependent, two counts of battery resulting in bodily injury and obstructing justice, all felonies. In return for pleading guilty to all of the charges against him, the Vanderburgh County Prosecutor’s Office agreed to propose capping his sentence at six years for the confinement and neglect charges, which were C felonies and the most serious charges he faced.

Heldt accepted the plea agreement and sentenced Brian Shiver to six years on each of the first four counts and two years on the last three counts. The sentences for all seven charges will run concurrently, making the most he will serve six years as called for by the plea agreement. However, that is just two years less than the maximum eight-year sentence suggested by the state.

He made no comment in court Monday other than to indicate that his pre-sentence investigation was accurate.

“He is responsible for taping his children to chairs on at least two occasions, the one he has been charged with and at least one prior time,” said Perry. “Fortunately there was no serious, lingering injury to the children.”

The children, a boy who was 2 years-old and a girl who was 4-years-old at the time, are in the care of a guardian now, Perry said.

Martina Shiver appeared in court before her husband Monday. She was charged nearly identically to her husband. However, she had only agreed to plead guilty to two charges of criminal confinement, also C felonies. She did not change her plea on the remaining charges, which were two counts of battery causing bodily injury. Because there was no written plea agreement, the judge decided her sentence length.

Heldt sentenced Martina Shiver to four years on each count, to be served concurrently.

Her attorney, David Shaw, argued that she should receive the minimum two-year sentence because she had no prior criminal history, had been in special education classes in high school and receives federal Supplemental Security Income payments for a disability. He also said she was dominated by her husband.

He also noted that Brian Shiver had written a letter in which he took responsibility for taping the children.

“I think this case is replete with mitigating circumstances,” Shaw said.

Perry noted that in her presentencing interview that Martina Shiver said she did not do anything wrong and asked that she receive the same sentence as her husband. “She was just as guilty as the person who taped them there,” he said.

He said she was alone with the children for at least five hours and could have freed them.

“Ms. Shiver is of limited mental abilities. She is dominated by her husband,” Shaw replied.

The couple were arrested Feb. 25 after an off-duty Evansville Police Department detective, working security at Woodland Park Apartments, at 2750 Lodge Ave., found the two children bound by box packing tape to chairs from their chests to below their waists with hands and legs immobilized by the tape.

The children were taken into the custody of the state.

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2011/may/09/couple-sentenced-prison-taping-children-chairs/?partner=popular

Last edited:
I think those are fair sentences IF they actually serve the full time. It would be best if they were spayed/neutered while in prison. Maybe the general population could help them out with that.

Unfortunately Indiana has a day for a day. This cuts their sentence in half to start out. If they do parenting classes, GED, college classes, NA, AA or any other type of self-improvement courses, that also cuts additional time off their sentence. I'm not sure exactly how much though. I could be wrong but I think its not unreasonable if they do classes that she could be out in as little as 6 months, which sucks.

Back