• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
Taxpayers may be on the hook after a case of abuse fell through the cracks, leaving a child with permanent injuries.

“They took half of his brain. That’s what they did,” said Tracy Leahy, the child’s grandmother.

The I-Team interviewed Leahy in 2016 after doctors said her infant grandson suffered from Shaken Baby Syndrome allegedly at the hands of her daughter, Katie Maynard, and son in law, Robert Aufdenberg. They’re the child’s biological parents.

It’s a story the 8 News NOW I-Team has been following since 2016, and now the I-Team has an update.

The baby boy wasn’t expected to survive, but four years later, he’s still alive but still dealing with abuse issues. According to attorneys for the boy and his adoptive parents, he is blind, mostly deaf, and unable to communicate or walk.

The child’s biological parents are in jail at the Clark County Detention Center, awaiting trial. They’re being held on a $1 million bond.

Attorneys for the boy and his adoptive parent say it’s not just the parents to blame; he was also failed by the system.

On Tuesday, the Clark County Commission is expected to approve a $100,000 settlement for failing to protect the child. The I-Team has also learned that Dignity Health settled for an undisclosed amount.

According to court documents, here’s why a lawsuit was filed:

Maynard and Aufdenberg were on probation for a felony after Texas authorities say they abused another child of theirs as a baby in 2014. Somebody later adopted that child.

When they relocated to Clark County, Maynard became pregnant. Child Protective Services took over the case and sent an alert to local hospitals who were told they should contact CPS as soon as Maynard gave birth in August of 2015, so the agency could take custody of the baby.

The alert was sent via fax, and St. Rose Dominican Hospital-Sienna campus discharged Maynard with her infant.

Shortly after, he nearly died due to what doctors called “non-accidental trauma,” Maynard and Aufdenberg were arrested and charged with felony child abuse.

The Division of Public and Behavioral Health investigated and concluded that the system was flawed, and there was no reliable oversight of the faxes, meaning CPS did not track the fax, and the hospital not know what happened to it.

Now the child, who is 5 years old this year, who was born healthy, needs special care. In 2016, the Children’s Advocacy Alliance weighed in.

“Someone dropped the ball somewhere along the lines,” said Denise Tenata, Children’s Advocacy Alliance.

As of August of 2020, court records reveal there was a Medicaid lien for the child’s care of more than $800,000, but the documents are redacted, so again, we do not know how much Dignity Health will pay as a result of the civil suit. A spokesman declined to comment.
1603223390157.png

Last edited:
I know this was 2016..But even then, a FAX??!! they cant do better then sending a fax? Even pharmacies and doctors dont use faxes much anymore yet you'd think for something that important they would figure out something better. This poor kids injuries could have been avoided all because someone didnt make sure their fax was received.

This mosquito looking cretin needs to stay locked up until there is zero chance of her giving birth ever again! What they did to their infant son in Texas is outright torture. It’s amazing he survived. He had horrible burns from at least two separate incidents, weeks old cracked ribs, broken arm, breaks in leg-over 20 fractures. They also waited weeks and weeks to get him medical attention.
For all this they got a ten year suspended sentence. The abused baby was adopted, but the daughter went to a family member for care (probably idiot mom’s mom who is also a moron) She’s a whole other story. And they get visitation with her, or did. God I hope they removed her from that imbecile. She’s certain that this is all a conspiracy by police and CPS and that her 2 grandchildren had preexisting medical conditions. Read this as it seems to dumb to be real:

I went down a deep rabbit hole on this one. Douche posted these on FB after, for real AFTER he had already seriously abused one son and left another in a vegetative state for
IMG_6990.jpeg
IMG_6988.jpeg

Last edited:
"As of August of 2020, court records reveal there was a Medicaid lien for the child’s care of more than $800,000"

I extracted this sentence, unrelated to the crime, to point out another crime. Using Medicaid in Nevada is a property lien you will never escape. Anything you manage to acquire will be taken by the state upon your death.

@McDanel

Won't the state have to pay since they were derelict in protecting this child.

I am assuming that the 100, 000 dollar settlement is for the care of the child and that those funds can not be confiscated to pay the lien.
The lien would be against the parent's assets, these recovery vultures will take your family photos off the wall, true story.

He still comes up in the Nevada inmate registry she does not.

1715353159079.jpeg

ROBERT JAMES AUFDENBERG

Offense DescriptionSent. StatusSent. MinSent. MaxSent. PEDSent. MPRSent. CountySent. PEXDSent. TypeSent. RRDSent. Start Date
153CHILD ABUSE W/SBHActive0 yr. 96 mo. 0 days0 yr. 240 mo. 0 days2024-03-152026-11-28CLARK COUNTY COURTHOUSE2027-05-31DETERMINATE2016-03-16

Back