Omaha, Nebraska — We do so many stories here every day that sometimes I forget when I am waiting on an update. One story in particular was the one I posted about in June in which two boys, ages 12 and 13, were charged with filming themselves sexually assaulting a 5-year-old girl in a neighborhood park.

When we first reported on it, the 12-year-old was ordered to be held in a juvenile facility while the 13-year-old got to stay home with his parents over the Fourth of July holidays. I had forgotten about the entire thing until today when a reader emailed us with an update.

For those of you not familiar with this story, a 5-year-old girl and her 7-year-old brother were lured to a drainage ditch by the two older boys at a park near the victim’s home. The older boys reportedly threatened to beat up the younger pair if they didn’t do what they said. They then used their cell phones to record themselves sexually assaulting the girl. This assault included penetration, fondling and worst of all, forcing the young girl to perform oral sex on them as well as on her brother.

The pair were eventually picked up and despite their efforts to destroy the video evidence, police were able to retrieve it off their phones. This video was played in court during the 12-year-old’s first court appearance and he was subsequently placed, crying, into the loving arms of a juvenile detention center. Afterwards his mother confronted the victim’s family in the courtroom lobby and had to be led away by deputies.

On Tuesday, it was the the 13-year-old’s turn in front of the same judge. His lawyer informed the court that his father and grandfather watched the boy around the clock to ensure he was under constant supervision. His lawyer also told the judge that the boy was paid by the 12-year-old to participate in the assault and that at no time can he be seen or heard in the videos.

He argued that the boy did not need to be detained and the community would be safe with him staying with his family, especially after the victims’ mother posted fliers and sent emails that let neighbors know who the boys are and what they are accused of.

“This kid can’t pick his nose without the whole neighborhood knowing about it,” his attorney said.

But Douglas County Juvenile Court Judge Wadie Thomas Jr. ordered the boy be held at the Douglas County Youth Detention Center anyway.

Outside of the courtroom, the 12-year-old boy’s father approached the victim’s father. Unlike the boy’s mother who confronted the family earlier in a hostile manner, this man apologized to the victims’ father. He fought back tears while telling the man he loved his son and that the events have affected his family too. The two men then shook hands.

Help The Dreamin Demon go ad free! Support us on Patreon!
Tags: , , , , , ,

Comments


The views expressed in the comments are those of the comment writers and don't represent the views or opinions of D'D or its staff. Feel free to flag comments that may violate conditions outlined in our Disclaimer.

  • The Pulpit of Doom Podcast





  • Recent Comments

  • Prophets of Doom

    Be sure to pick up the DD crApp for Android. Coming to iTunes soon.