Fresno, CA, USA (KFSN) -- A Fresno family is dealing with a horrible tragedy after their young son was killed playing on a jungle gym.
Officers say the boy was about to slide down the slide when the hooded sweatshirt he was wearing got caught on the jungle gym.
The accident happened at a home on Butler near Peach, just a few blocks from Fresno Pacific University.
Police say the child was found unconscious. Emergency crews tried to revive him for about half an hour before he passed away around 6pm Tuesday.
Officers were called out to the home around 5:20 in the evening. Police say the child was unconscious on a wooden jungle gym where he had been playing.
Mike Doyle of the Fresno Police Department said, "One of the kids is a three year old boy that went down the slide and he was wearing a sweatshirt and one of the cords on the sweatshirt accidentally caught on the slide we don't know approximately where but it caught and ended up accidentally choking the young child."
The toddler was discovered by another child who noticed the boy non responsive. Police believe the child was playing with other kids minutes before the tragedy, but they had gone in the house before the accident. Investigators describe the jungle gym as wooden with a canopy and slide. Officers inspected it and say it is in good condition.
The child has not been identified. Officers say he was visiting the home where the accident took place. Police are investigating the death as an accident.