A 1-year-old boy was taken to the hospital after swallowing four Valium pills when his babysitter fell asleep.
Jolynn Hines, 20, described in court as the child's aunt, was arrested and charged with endangering children and possession of dangerous drugs.
Hines allegedly fell asleep for 2.5 hours while the boy got into her purse and found the pills.
Hines called for help when she woke up and noticed the pills were missing. Police said that if she had waited longer, the boy may have been in worse condition. The boy was alert and doing well at the hospital.
"The kid is not even one and if you’re smart, you put your purse up and even then you’re supposed to stay awake,” Officer Andrew Demeropolis said. “If you’re the baby sitter, that’s your job.”
Hines did not have a prescription for the pills.
Bond was set for Hines at $40,000. If she makes that bond, she can have no contact with her nieces and nephews or any child under the age of 18.
"I called 911 within two minutes," Hines said, explaining that she sought help immediately after waking up and finding the toddler had gotten into her purse.