MOSES LAKE, Wash. - Grant County officials say the two year old boy who was brought to sacred heart weighing less than ten pounds is still on life support. Sheriff's Detectives continue to investigate the child abuse case, but did say that the boy's siblings, a 14-year old boy, a 10-year old girl, a 7-year old girl and a 4-year old girl show no signs of external wounds or traumatic injuries. No signs of abuse were detected in the siblings, only the extreme malnourishment of the 2-year old boy.
The siblings remain in custody of Child Protective Services.
MOSES LAKE, Wash. – A two-year-old Moses Lake, Washington, boy is on life support, after he was found without a heartbeat, and weighing less than 10 pounds.
Firefighters and paramedics were called to his rural home, about 7 miles northwest of Moses Lake, around 1 p.m. Wednesday by someone inside the house. They arrived to find the boy had stopped breathing and was in cardiac arrest. His mother had been performing CPR. Paramedics continued to work on the boy, and after using a defibrillator, revived him. It's not clear how long the boy's heart had been stopped prior to their arrival.
It was hospital staff in Moses Lake who first suspected child abuse or neglect, and called the Grant County Sheriff's Office. A search warrant was served at the home Wednesday evening, but we're told nothing ‘terribly unusual' was found. The family is said to live in a nice neighborhood, and reportedly has the means to feed their children.
Grant County Sheriff's Office Public Information Officer Kyle Foreman did not immediately know if they'd been called to the family's home in the past, nor could he speak about the health of the couple's other four children. The couple had five children in total: a 14-year-old boy, three girls ages 10, 7, and 4, and this little 2-year-old boy. As a precaution, their other four children have been taken out of the home and are now in the custody of Child Protective Services.
Now, the entire three-person Grant County major crimes team is working on this case. Foreman said pictures of the boy show he's emaciated, and the shocking and heartbreaking photos have affected even the investigators. One veteran, with 23 years experience in law enforcement, says this is the worst case of child abuse he's ever seen.
The family's name is not yet being released – both for their privacy and protection. Foreman emphasized no charges have yet been filed as detectives work to build their case, and he asks the public for patience.
"They watch TV every week, they watch Law and Order, they see that a case starts at 8:00 and it's all wrapped up by 9:00 and someone's going to jail, and that's just not the case in real life," he said. "We need time to interview people, we need time to build a case, and if charges need to be filed, it takes time to do that."
Foreman didn't know if the boy had any other visible signs of abuse, like bruising or scars, but said everyone working on the case is praying for his recovery.
"Any time a child has something bad happen to them, that sparks outrage in people," Foreman said. "But we need the public's help to be patient and allow the detectives to do their jobs."
As the investigation continues, the search warrant and other information surrounding the boy's family is expected to be released Tuesday.