Kimber Michelle Brown, daughter of Mike Brown and Raelyn Anderson-Brown of Durango, had almost 2½ times the upper limit of dextromethorphan – an over-the-counter drug found in cough and cold suppressants, according to a toxicology report.
The girl also had above therapeutic levels of Cetirizine, another over-the-counter drug used to treat colds or allergy symptoms, said Dr. Carol Huser, La Plata County coroner.
Combining the two depressants produced a greater toxicity than each drug would have caused alone, Huser said.
“In my opinion, the combination of these drugs – which were the ingredients of the over-the-counter medications with which Kimber was being treated – caused her death,” Huser wrote in an autopsy report released this week.
Kimber died early Feb. 12 while staying at her grandmother’s house in the 31000 block of U.S. Highway 550, about 10 miles north of Durango.
Her father is an investigator with the La Plata County Sheriff’s Office.
The grandmother, identified Friday by the sheriff’s office as Linda Sheets, 59, the mother of Anderson-Brown, had been treating the girl for flu-like symptoms, Huser said.
It is possible the grandmother inaccurately measured the doses of medicine or that Kimber self-medicated beyond the dosage she was given, Huser said.
The medications were kept on a counter within reach of the girl, she said.
The 6th Judicial District Attorney’s Office is reviewing the case to determine whether criminal charges should be filed.