Four children killed—three brothers and their sister. They were all trapped in an upstairs room when their house caught on fire.
Gage Reavey was the oldest. He was 14-years-old. His brother, Greg Kugler, was 13-years-old. Greg was deaf. Their sister, Kandee Kugler was 12-years-old and Kaiden Kugler was 6-years-old. They were trapped up on the second floor. Firefighters tried to get to them, but the fire was so dangerous they were ordered to retreat.
The children moved here from Elmira just a couple of months ago. In their old Elmira neighborhood, the friends of the four children killed set up their own memorial.
Lindzie Shut said, “I miss her and I’m really sorry.”
Malea Molina was good friends with Kandee.
Molina said, “I miss Kandee the most because we used to always have sleepovers and every time we had sleepovers, she would bring over her makeup kit and we would dress up my mom and do her hair.”
The fire started every Saturday morning. The four children were trapped upstairs and the fire just became too big.
Chief John Caufield said, “Our firefighters were willing to put themselves in peril. They risked their lives literally in this case to try to make the rescues.”
News10NBC found security camera video that shows some of the first firefighters getting to the scene. It’s shortly after 1pm in the morning. The white glow is the flashing lights of a fire truck. A few minutes later, more lights. Police have now closed Grape Street and then the video shows two firefighters dragging a hose across Jay Street to hook up a hydrant. And soon after, this is what News10NBC cameras capture, a deadly combination of fire and smoke.
Today, friends of the family put together a tribute video of the four children, Gage, Kandee, Greg (who they also called Junior) and six-year-old Kaiden.
Gage Reavey went to East High School. The other three were at School No. 5. News10NBC spoke with Kandee’s teacher on the phone. She’s very upset and is trying to reach out to the family.
The siblings' mother and her two-year-old child were taken to the hospital. Also in the house that night, 25-year-old James Austin, 15-year-old Waltquaries Evans and 13-year-old Giovanni Delorm. They were able to escape the fire by jumping from a second-story window. Austin is a family friend and Evans and Delorm were sleeping over at the time of the fire.