An inmate who died inside a men’s prison in Maple Ridge last month may have consumed a lethal dose of methadone.
A man incarcerated at Fraser Regional Correctional Centre said the deceased inmate drank methadone that had been vomited up by another prisoner, a practice called “diversion” by B.C. Corrections.
“He died from drinking barf,” said the inmate, who claims the regurgitated methadone can sell for as much as $20, depending on the millilitres consumed.
Methadone is a synthetic narcotic used to help wean addicts off heroin and other opioids. It’s stored in powder form, but diluted with juice or Kool-Aid for addicts to drink.
The inmate, who requested anonymity, said men on the program will drink a large amount of water before receiving their dose of methadone, then puke it up to sell to other inmates. Those inmates strain the vomit, mix it with tang and drink it.
“They just want to get rocked,” said the inmate. “They are that desperate.”
Ridge Meadows RCMP were called to the Fraser Regional Correctional Centre around 7 p.m. on Oct. 19 after a 32-year-old man passed away from a suspected drug overdose.
A full autopsy has been conducted on the man, but final results of toxicology tests are still pending.
A cause of death will not be determined until those results are received.
B.C. Corrections is also conducting an internal review into circumstances surrounding the man’s death and will not comment on how he may have died.