Because the subject comes up often, here's instructions for inserting an image in the forum.
Insert an image. Very easy!! It works in most any text entry area of the D'D Forums... posts in threads, comments on profiles, PMs, etc.
1. In the text entry box, click on the "Insert Image" icon in the area above the box.
2. In the box that pops up, enter the web address (URL) of the image. Ex: http://www.wherever.com/image.gif
.......To make sure the image is not displayed a thumbnail ("attachment"), use the "From URL" tab and
.......make sure "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" is NOT checked.
.......The image will be displayed in the proper size
3. Click "Insert Image" and there it is! Simple as pie!!
ALTERNATE METHOD: If an upload site offers a "BBCode" (IMG code tags [img][/img]) for an image, that can be copy and pasted directly into the text box. Do not use the "Insert Image" icon. You can also type the tags in yourself with the URL in between.
What image? Where?
It is a big no-no to link to an image without permission. Don't to it without permission. Sites do not like it when you steal their bandwidth!
Image hosting sites will give you the URL to link to if it is OK to use it. Use that URL in the pop-up box when adding the image. If you don't find anything that indicates you can direct link to it, load the image to your computer and then to a free hosting site.
Do one of these 3 things to get an image onto your system:
- If you find an image you want to use on a site such as http://www.Glitter-Graphics.com/ (as example - there are a million such sites on the web), download the image according to instructions on the site.
- You can also save images by right clicking and clicking on "Save Image as..." or similar option.
- You have a picture already on your computer from your camera, saved from an email, you created it, or it magically appeared.
Once you have it on your computer, you need to use an image hosting site to upload it to.
I use http://www.tinypic.com/ because it is quick and free. You do not need to register for an account to use it.
- Click "Browse" to locate the image on your computer and then click "Upload Now". Fill in the CAPTCHA that pops up. NOTE: For mugshots and some other images, I recommend also setting the Resize option to "Website/Email (320/240)" because some can be quite large despite the size displayed on the original site.
- Select the "Direct Link for Layouts" box and copy and paste that URL into pop-up box when adding the image.
Another site that many folks use is http://photobucket.com/ It has many features available. Also http://simplest-image-hosting.net/ and http://imageshack.us/. Check them out if you are interested. There are many other places offer image hosting. Feel free to use any one you prefer.
If you have a bunch of photos to share, your D'D profile has a Photo Album feature. Just create an album and upload photos from your hard drive.