BONNEY LAKE, Wash. -- Newlyweds Michelle and Ryan Karns returned from their wedding week in Las Vegas to find their Bonney Lake rental ruined by arson.
The two fear the fire was a message; what happened in Vegas apparently angered somebody in Bonney Lake.
"I don't think anything about this is spontaneous," said Michelle Karns.
"I'm scared," said Ryan Karns.
A two-alarm fire broke out at the couple's home in the 4000 block of 218th Ave. E. at approximately 5:30 a.m. The blaze, which investigators believe started in the basement of the ranch home, gutted the home.
"It's really saddening to go from happiest day of my life and doing what I've waited to do - marrying the love of my life - and within 24 hours, hearing that everything we have is gone," said Michelle Karns.
The couple's truck was also found trashed out front.
"They pretty much took out every window on the car," Michelle Karns said. "It looks like somebody took a bat. (You) can see a bat mark through the window. My friends decorated it; it said 'just married."
The newlyweds salvaged a few photos, but the children's room - their dollhouse, tutus and toys - are now charred and smell of smoke.
The Karns just got renters' insurance three weeks ago after Michelle Karn's ex-husband's home burned to the ground. Michelle Karns' young children have lost both of their parents' homes to a fire in just a month's time.
"They can't take our rings away. They can't take our wedding away. They can't take our weekend away," said Ryan Karns. "That's what I'm embracing."
A $10,000 reward is being offered for information leading to an arrest of the arsonist responsible for the blaze at the Karns' home.