Teen smokes "GI Jain," parents now in jail
LEESBURG -- A couple charged with child abuse said they were just trying to give a teenager an alternative to smoking marijuana.
They said they even researched the stuff, called "GI Jain," to make sure it was OK, and they smoked it to try to be sure it was safe. It's supposed to be used for aromatherapy.
The couple has been charged with child abuse after the boy wound up in the Leesburg Regional Medical Center emergency room about 9 p.m. Monday in reference to a narcotic overdose, police said.
Tiffany Barkdoll, 34, and Shawn Jamison Barkdoll, 36, both of 1171 Bentley Road, were booked into the Lake County jail on Tuesday.
Tiffany is still in jail on $2,000 bond, while Shawn has posted $2,000 bail and is out, according to online jail records.
Tiffany Barkdoll said she and her husband were in Daytona Beach and saw some kids smoking the product and found out where they could buy it. They went to Lady Lake to purchase some "GI Jain," according to the arrest affidavit. They said they smoked it five or six times before allowing the teen to use it.
According to the arrest affidavit, the package label clearly states that it is to be used for aromatherapy, and it is not for human consumption.
When police asked Tiffany Barkdoll about the label, she said the vendor has to put the warning on the package in order to sell the product.
When police asked the teen how he ended up in the hospital, he said he had smoked "GI Jain" to get high and that it could not be detected in a urinalysis.
The boy is now in the custody of the state Department of Children and Families.