DUNOWOODY,Ga. -- A metro Atlanta doctor said a new alcohol drinking game that involves pouring vodka into the eye could cause blindness.
Dr. Farooq Ashraf, medical director of Atlanta Vision Institute, said it's a dangerous game that can cause serious damage.
Ashraf said, "Alcohol is very toxic. If it stays long enough it causes severe burns and infection of the cornea."
Ashraf has even blogged about the risky new trend, while he hasn't had any patients who have tried "Vodka Eyeballing," he warns just one shot could make you go blind.
Ashraf said, "When you have a severe burn on the eye it is not only painful but you can't open your eye. A lot times these kids end up in the emergency room."
CBS Atlanta News showed mom Susan Clayton a YouTube clip of the teens pouring vodka shots into their eye.
Clayton has a teenage daughter.
Clayton said, "It's ridiculous! There's no purpose to that at all. Of course I want to get right on the phone and ask her if she has heard of this before."
CBS Atlanta News found hundreds of videos posted online. In some video clips, bottles of vodka were held to the eye.
Ashraf said, "The amount of alcohol that really gets absorbed into the eye is minimal so I think this is more of a fad and a dare but the potential damage is really high, so it's really not worth doing this."
Ashraf said typically teens will pour the shot in one eye at a time so if a parent sees one eye severely red or irritated that may give you a clue that something like this is going on.