A Dubuque woman charged in the death of her toddler daughter has pleaded guilty
to six charges, including child endangerment resulting in death and desecration of a corpse.
Tamelia Harris pleaded guilty on Monday at the Delaware County Courthouse in Manchester. She was sentenced to 78 years in prison.
Dubuque Assistant County Attorney Chris Corken says they agreed to a plea because she wasn’t sure if they would be able to prove first degree murder.
Instead of risking a jury finding Harris not guilty, Corken says they pursued six separate counts that would mandate Harris to spend 78 years in prison.
The defense stated that the plea eliminated a life in prison term and gives Harris the eligibility for parole.
The 6 charges Harris plead guilty to are :
1. Child endangerment resulting in death - 50 Years
2. Neglect of dependent minor - 10 Years
3. Desecration of a corpse - 5 Years
4. Possession of incendiary device -10 Years
5. Child endangerment - 2 Years
6. Providing false information to law enforcement - 1 Year