RENTON, Wash. - Renton Police are investigating how two 8-year-old boys got their hands on PCP.
The boys were rushed to the hospital Thursday night, and police say it appears they got the drugs from a 7-year-old at their school.
Eight-year-old DayVonn Ware and Ronald Wilson are cousins who attend Renton's Kennydale Elementary School. When they came home Thursday after class, their parents say they were overly hyper and then they started to crash.
"They discovered a vial that smelled funny and that the boys agreed to consuming it," said Melissa Bertram, Ronald's mother.
At the hospital, the boys tested positive for PCP, a hallucinogen also known as angel dust.
"I cried till I saw him, then I held him for 15 minutes and wouldn't let him go," said Bertram.
The two boys apparently got the vial from a 7-year-old at Kennydale and ingested it before boarding the bus after school. The 7-year-old told police he got the vial from a neighborhood playground.
Now police are trying to figure out what playground it was, and whether the statement is even true.
"It is important to figure out where those drugs are from and how they came to be in the possession of a 7-year-old child," said Terri Vickers, Renton Police spokesperson.
Parents at the school are stunned that kids so young in such a safe neighborhood could have access to those kinds of drugs.
"Second grade would not be what I'd worry about or what I'd want to be worrying about," said Patty Poad, parent of a second grader.
"When you told me he was 7 years old, it really shocked me," said another parent, Thuy Nguyen.
Ronald's mother is just thankful he's alive.
"I just want to see the parents know about it. That this is happening at that school," said Bertram.
Police say a 7-year-old is too young to be prosecuted for a crime like this. The Renton School District has not issued any comment about the incident.