A spurned husband accidentally set fire to himself and died as he tried to burn his own house down.
School caretaker Timothy Flood, 42, spilled petrol on his clothes as he doused the £250,000 marital home with fuel in a bid to stop it being handed to his estranged wife in a settlement.
And as soon as he set the building ablaze, he also became engulfed in flames.
The father-of-three desperately staggered into his neighbour's garden where he tried to douse his burning body with a barrel of rain water.
Despite suffering 90 per cent burns he was still conscious when treated by paramedics in the garden.
But he died two days later in hospital after relatives gave permission for his life support machine to be turned off.
An inquest heard he had wanted to prevent his wife Catherine, 39, from having the house after the collapse of their 14-year marriage.
The modern detached house in the village of Undy in Monmouthshire was said to be the couple's 'pride and joy' and the couple were still living together in the house when he died.
But Mr Flood feared he would lose it after his wife began a 'friendship' with a man she had met at a school reunion.