An abandoned newborn baby was found dead after being wrapped in a towel and placed outside a shop - after villagers mistook him for a gym kit.
The boy was covered in a towel in a carrier bag at the rear of the village shop.
But the shop is next to a gym - and passers-by mistook the boy for towels accidentally left behind by someone after a work-out.
The towel in a cream-coloured Next carrier bag was first spotted at 1.15pm yesterday by a shopworker at Gurfewak Singh's Spar store at Cwmcarn, near Newport, Gwent.
He said: 'She went out and noticed the bag and asked one of our colleagues to have a look inside. 'They saw some towels and assumed someone had been in the boxing gym and had left their bag behind.'
It was at 6pm that Mr Singh's son went into the lane to talk to neighbours - and decided to look inside the bag.
Mr Singh said: 'He took the first towel off and saw the baby's head.
'He quickly rushed back into the shop and my partner and a shop assistant put the baby on top of a freezer, tried to do CPR and called 999. 'Customers in the shop also tried to help, but I assumed the baby was already dead.
'He had been outside outside in the rain for five hours the towels were soaking wet.
'My son was so shocked, he was crying and asking me questions like: "How can someone just leave a baby like that in a bag?
'He said: "Why didn't the mother tell someone?" I haven't got any answers to give him. I just wish one of us had checked the bag properly.
'If the baby was alive then maybe we could have helped. We could have called an ambulance straight away.'
Choking back tears Mr Singh added: 'I regret it so much. I keep going back over and over it in my mind.'