Four Cooper City middle school students were treated by paramedics Wednesday afternoon after they reportedly swallowed a number of pills. According to the Broward Sheriff's Department, the kids ingested the pills and then began to experience adverse side effects.
Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue received a call about the situation at Pioneer Middle School, located in the 5300 block of SW 90th Avenue, around 3 p.m. The medications used were over the counter medications used to treat coughs and colds. The Broward Sheriff's Office said that if a large amount of the drugs are ingested adverse side effects were possible.
BSO said the incident was still under investigation, but believed the kids planned to take the pills. Charges ranging from culpable negligence to petty theft are pending according to the BSO.
The parents of the four kids were called by the school about the situation. Three of the middle school students were treated and taken to area hospitals for further evaluation. A fourth student was sent home with parents. The students were two 14-year-olds and two 13-year-olds.