The father and mother of a 1-year-old boy who was found unconscious in a smoke-filled room east of Seaford on Monday evening have been charged with reckless endangering, state police said today.
The boy is in stable condition at Baltimore’s University of Maryland Medical Center. An 8-year-old boy who was instructed to care for the younger boy while the parents were away was not injured during the incident, police said.
Troopers were called about 7:40 p.m. to check on the welfare of two children believed to be unsupervised in the Coverdale Crossroads residence. The arriving officer found a small garage that had been converted into a room
on the rear of the home on Coverdale Road, police said.
The trooper opened the garage and found two things: a kerosene heater that had filled the room with smoke and an unconscious boy.
The officer quickly removed the child from the room and rendered first aid. After the child then began to breathe, he was flown to University of Maryland Medical Center.
Investigators learned that the boy’s parents, Sherita Stanley and Alton Jones, had left the boy in the house for several hours
, police spokesman Cpl. Thomas Guarini said.
Preliminary investigation has not revealed where the parents were during this time, he said.
Stanley and Jones have been charged with first- and second-degree reckless endangering, endangering the welfare of child and conspiracy. Both are being held at Sussex Correctional Institution in lieu of bail, Guarini said.