The Indianapolis Zoo is reopening the Critter Corner, an exhibit that was damaged in a November fire. The fire began when an armadillo apparently pushed combustible material or bedding too close to a heat lamp. The armadillo, three turtles, two birds, a snake and other small animals died in the fire.
You Texas folks can vouch for the fact that armadillos aren't known for their high intelligence, so I'm feeling a little pissed this story doesn't point out that MAYBE some human caretaker could've noticed the height of the heat lamp was potentially problematic. What, they don't have someone there knowledgeable about armadillos? "It's some kind of turtle. I'll give it some lettuce and lower the heat lamp."
[Driving down the road in Texas, dead armadillo seen.
"You know, all armadillos look both ways before crossing the street."
- - -
Looks up and down.]