The grisly slaying went unreported for weeks until someone contacted Winnipeg police this week. Police believe the father was slain the last week of June.
The son, who was charged with second-degree murder Thursday, went about his life as normally as possible afterward, said police spokeswoman Const. Jacqueline Chaput.
Neighbours said they last saw the teen Monday while he tried to cut grass at the Charleswood home where he and his 49-year-old father lived alone, but the lawnmower kept breaking down.
By that point, his father had already been dead for weeks. His dismembered body was dumped in a wooded area more than two hours north of Winnipeg, Chaput said.
"Just that fact itself is disturbing," she said.
Police have located the man's decomposed remains and are preparing to return them to Winnipeg.
It is believed they were transported to the disposal site in a car, which was towed from the house Thursday.
Because the accused is a youth, the victim's name cannot be published.
Neighbours were stunned when they learned of the man's death.
"It's pretty creepy, really. It's just weird," said Clint Goddard.
Goddard said the father and son kept to themselves.
"They were eccentric and different but they were quiet. They were pretty good neighbours," Goddard said. "(The son) was cut from the same cloth. He was very reclusive and didn't seem to have any friends, at least around here."
Neighbours said the father, a mechanical engineer, made a lot of money inventing health-care technology and no longer worked.
He moved into the home seven years ago, they said.
"They didn't really socialize or mix," said nearby resident Wayne Pucci.
Pucci said he last saw the man a few days before July 1.
The man led such a private life it wasn't unusual to go days or even several weeks without seeing him, neighbours said.
They said the boy's parents are separated, and that his brother and sister live with their mother.
Police would not comment on the motive. Police had never been called to the house before, Chaput said.
Officers have been at the home since Wednesday. Police received information Thursday the case was a possible homicide, Chaput said.
The boy appeared in court yesterday but his case was adjourned to next week.
The father is Winnipeg's 16th homicide victim of 2009.