Man learns painful lesson about smoking while siphoning.
Smoking and siphoning don't mix, a New Smyrna Beach man learned after officials say he was burned as he tried to take gas from a boat.
Justin Lou Avis, 30, was burned over 20 percent of his body Sunday while removing the gas from his father's pontoon boat as he smoked a cigarette, fire and police officials said. The container Avis used to catch the fuel ignited about 10:30 p.m.
He suffered first- and second-degree burns to his hands and legs, officials said. To try to avoid the flames, officials said Avis threw the burning container into a nearby pickup, setting it ablaze
Fire crews quickly extinguished the fires in the 200 block of Sandy Lane and Avis was taken to Halifax Health Medical Center in Daytona Beach. His condition was not available Tuesday afternoon, a hospital spokeswoman said.
Property damage was estimated at $2,000, the fire report states.
The State Fire Marshal's Office is investigating the fire.