There are new developments regarding a man accused of sexually molesting a West Palm Beach boy last month.
The child's mother thought the guy would stay locked up. But she was stunned to learn he was released and she didn't even get so much as a phone call from authorities. The woman says the fact that her child's attacker is now on the street worries her, and she feels it should worry every parent out there.
"It's crazy, I can't believe they actually let him out on the street!" she said. We're concealing her identity to protect her son, a minor, who was the alleged victim of child molester.
50 year old Richard Jones of Riviera Beach is accused of molesting the 12 year old boy behind a vacant house on Pinewood Avenue in West Palm Beach March 8, and he was interrupted by three good Samaritans who were walking along some nearby railroad tracks and grabbed him and held him until police arrived.
The boy's mother was astounded to find out that Jones is out of jail, and she didn't know it until her son spotted him in the neighborhood on Easter Sunday.
"I was horrified. Because how can I protect my son if I don't know that this guy is here in the neighborhood?" she said.
She says no one, not the West Palm Beach police who arrested Jones, or the state attorney's office called her to alert her that Jones was getting out.
"I think that's crazy because these are the type of charges and the type of criminal activity they need to be on top of. These are little kids. Kids lives are at stake," she said.
The Palm Beach County State Attorney's office says the West Palm Beach Police department did not meet a deadline to file some paperwork and Jones had to be released from jail.
The police department disputes that, saying they filed it on time.
Either way, the paperwork has now come through, and Jones is now charged. But he's still on the street. Prosecutors say they may ask a judge to set a bond for him again, so he can be picked up.