An au pair left in charge of a Roslyn Heights home where a teenager collapsed during a party was charged with violating Nassau County's social hosts law, Nassau police said Monday.
Andrean Newland, 30, of 159 Shepherd Lane, Roslyn Heights, was arrested at 12:12 a.m. Sunday after police responding to a 911 call found a 14-year-old boy unconscious in the driveway of her home, a Nassau police spokesman said.
Police said they found 15 to 25 youths drinking alcohol in the back yard.
The teenager who collapsed was taken to a hospital, police said. No information was available about the teenager's condition.
Newland, who lives at the house and is employed as an au pair by the home's owners, according to police, was charged with violating the social hosts law, which holds adults responsible for use of alcohol by youths under their supervision.
Newland was left in charge while the home's owners were out of the house, but did not attempt to stop the youths from drinking, police said.
She was released on an appearance ticket and is due to be arraigned on April 14 at First District Court in Hempstead.
Newland, who has a Jamaica passport, "really did not try to keep the kids from drinking and certainly did nothing to stop it," Lt. Kevin Smith, a police spokesman, said Monday at a Mineola news conference.
Breaking the social host law is a misdemeanor offense and carries a fine up to $250 for the first offense, Smith said. Since the law was passed, 23 people have been charged under it, he said.
The office of District Attorney Kathleen Rice is reviewing the case, and more charges are possible, Smith said.
Police responded to a call of an "intoxicated youth" at about 10:50 p.m. Saturday, Smith said. When they arrived at the house, they found the back and side yards "littered" with empty containers of alcohol, "mostly beer," he said.
Alcohol at the party was "plentiful," Smith said.
The mother of the sickened boy was already at the house when police arrived and accompanied him to the hospital, he said. He declined to identify the boy because of his age.
Smith said the boy passed out "as a result of consuming alcoholic beverages."