A jilted lover who is accused of killing her ex-boyfriend by poisoning a bottle of liqueur she then gave to the man's new girlfriend has been caught in London after two years on the run.
Police said Janjira Jeffrey Smith was so angry when Roger Mitchell Lewis left her that she laced the Jägermeister with insecticide, which killed Lewis and temporarily blinded the man's new girlfriend.
In October 2006, the King County Prosecutor's Office charged Smith with first-degree murder and first-degree assault, but by then she had fled the country for her native Thailand.
Smith had flown into London's Heathrow Airport, using her American passport. But authorities had flagged the passport, notifying officials that Smith was wanted.
Smith, who is now 53, and Lewis had been in a relationship for 18 months, and the two had even lived together for a time.
In September 2006, Lewis returned from a trip to the Philippines and broke some tough news to Smith: He had met someone else whom he planned to marry.
The woman tried to persuade Lewis to stay with her. She left for a trip to Japan, and when she returned in early October, Lewis would have nothing to do with her.
At some point, Smith learned that the new girlfriend, Thanyarat Sengpharaghanh, was going to meet Lewis for dinner. On Oct. 6, 2006, Smith called Sengpharaghanh and advised her that Lewis was fond of Jägermeister and liked to have a drink before going out for the evening.
She offered to send a bottle over and urged the woman to make sure Lewis had a drink before they left for dinner. Smith enlisted the help of a man she knew to deliver the bottle.
Prosecutors contend that Smith had already laced the alcohol with the insecticide methomyl.
That evening, Sengpharaghanh mentioned to a friend that Smith had sent her a bottle of Jägermeister to share with Lewis. The friend warned Sengpharaghanh against drinking the alcohol "because it was probably poisoned".
Despite this warning, when Lewis arrived at Sengpharaghanh's apartment, she offered him a drink. Lewis drank a full shot glass, and Sengpharaghanh drank about half a glass.
Almost immediately, the woman felt ill, lost her vision, then blacked out. A friend found the woman blind and disoriented in the apartment. The 56-year-old Lewis was face down on the floor, dead.