• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

cubby

Live Long and Prosper
Bold Member!
http://news.yahoo.com/bison-gores-woman-attempting-selfie-photo-yellowstone-park-221845119.html

A Yellowstone National Park visitor was gored this week as she tried to snap a selfie photo close to one of the park's famed bison, the fifth attack on a tourist who has ignored warnings to admire the mammals from afar, officials said on Thursday.

The 43-year-old Mississippi woman and her daughter were standing with their back to a bison when it charged on Tuesday, tossing her into the air and inflicting minor injuries, Yellowstone spokeswoman Amy Bartlett said.

She was the fifth Yellowstone visitor since May to be gored by one of the park's popular bison, which can weigh as much as a ton, and the third tourist seeking to take a picture of a buffalo while crowding too close.

"People are not taking to heart that these are wild animals that are unpredictable and can be dangerous," Bartlett said.

The park's roughly 4,000 buffalo are generally uninterested in the activities of visitors while seeking prime grazing lands that can be close to hiking trails, roads, buildings and parking lots, leading some tourists to incorrectly conclude that the shaggy, hump-backed creatures are approachable, she said.

Four of the five goring incidents required hospitalization and advanced medical care, Bartlett said.

Two women from Georgia were gored in separate incidents in late June and early July after wandering near buffalo and an Australian man was tossed multiple times in the air on June 2 while seeking to use his electronic notepad to photograph a bison, Bartlett said.

Last edited:
Gored by a bison? Darn it, I really expected to read someone accidentally died while taking a selfie at a cliff's edge. Those are the best. :facepalm:

I don't think we could say it enough times to penetrate the stupidity of some folks.

Last edited:
To be fair, a lot of these parks that have significant bison populations have little to no measures to restrict or control the movement of the animals. They got signs up all over the place telling you to keep your distance, think the one i last saw said 40 yards minimum(was a while ago though, point is they say keep back quite a ways), yet the buffalo end up squatting right down next to recreational areas, bathrooms and other commonly used and essential faciilities, middle of the roads, near camping areas, i could go on and on. It's often impossible to avoid getting "too" close, often impossible to follow the rules and warnings of the park.

Of course that's all the more reason to practice good safety and avoid dipshittery like turning your back on the animal to get a cool picture.

the fifth attack on a tourist
Shouldn't that read the "fifth attack on the wildlife" since these fucktards repeatedly insist on trying to snuggle up with the wildlife for selfies? Aren't the people the ones committing the initial "assault"?

It isn't the animals' faults that these dipshits don't bother to read the warning signs or can't comprehend what they read.

Lady: OMG OMG OMG! It's so cute!! I GOTTA take a pic with it!!!

Buffalo: (with a brooklyn accent): *gores lady* MANNNNN...bye SON!

ETA: I'm corny...i know lol

Last edited:
So we can all agree, much like the Honey Badger, Bison don't give a fuck. Also these idiots don't deserve sympathy and I hoped everyone pointed and laughed at these idiots after they got gored. I know I woulda got my seven chuckles in a la Katt Williams before I checked on them coz you fuck with the Bison you get what you get and a selfie ain't one of those things.

I spent some time camping and hiking in Yellowstone. There are videos at EVERY tourist stop even at stations in the middle of no where. These videos show actual attacks by buffalo and other animals and none of the videos are pretty.
There are also signs everywhere warning people.
So do they think its a joke? STUPID

When I visited Yellowstone, the rangers handed out leaflets as you entered the park, warning about staying away from the animals. There was also a large sign at the entrance which stated how many buffalo attacks had occurred to date. There was a little slot on the sign so they could change the numbers as needed.
People worry about bear attacks more, but in Yellowstone, the real danger is attacks by bison and moose.

Hopefully her phone was slow as shit like mine and snapped the picture just as the bison hit! Would love to see that selfie! :hilarious::hilarious:

Hey dumbasses, if you really need to own a selfie with a fucking bison, there's a great stuffed one in a museum in North Dakota.
5bb6l3.jpg

I forget the name of the museum but it's dedicated to Norwegian history or something. It's alot fucking...oh, safer??

well then, ahem, i can honestly say that being gored via bison is not one of my problems right now. just when i start to think my life sucks, some wonderful random stranger does something that makes me realize that life could suck so much more.

Back