• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Morbid

Rooster Illusion
Staff member
WETUMPKA, AL – The Alabama Pardons and Paroles Board has denied the early release of 40-year-old Melissa Wright, the woman who put her baby in a hot oven back in 2002.

In June 2002, Wright removed the racks out of an oven, turned it to broil and waited for it to heat up. She then placed her 14-month-old daughter, Ashley Smith, head first into the oven.

Ashley was rescued by her father who heard her screams and found her inside the oven. While Smith was only in the oven for a short amount of time, she suffered third-degree burns to over 30 percent of her body.

Despite claiming voices told her to put her daughter in the oven, Wright would plead guilty to attempted murder, and be sentenced to 25 years in prison. On Tuesday, after having serving 13 years and 9 months of her sentence, Wright stood before the parole board in hopes of an early release.

Smith was also there to ask the board that her mother remain in prison. She is currently living with her aunt, whom she calls mom, and showed the board pictures of the severe burns she suffered that has required 28 surgeries and left lingering medical issues.

“I can’t imagine anyone being in as much pain as I went through mentally and physically,” Smith said. “Now I have a great life thanks to my mom, dad, stepbrothers and sisters.”

Also at the hearing was Smith’s older sister, Courtney Brunson, who asked the board for an early parole for her mother.

“I was only 8-years-old when it happened, she was different,” Brunson said. “I seen what happened. I know how she was. She was not herself.”

Brunson is alluding to the fact that Wright’s mental stability was on a steady decline before she tried cooking her daughter. There were several reports from friends and family of Wright’s increasingly erratic behavior.

“When she wasn’t sick, she was a good mom, a real good mom,” Smith’s father said about Wright. “But she was getting worse. Several times, I found her out in the yard talking about the world coming to an end. That was a big thing with her, the world coming to an end.”

Elmore County District Attorney Randall doesn’t deny that Wright and her family were going through some tough times at the time of the incident or that Wright may have been having some mental issues. His office just doesn’t believe she was crazy when she put her daughter in the oven.

“We don’t believe she was crazy, we believe she was just mean,” Houston said. “While there may be a special place in hell for Melissa Wright, there is no place for her in Ashley’s life or in our community.”

After a short discussion, the board denied Wright’s parole. She will be up for parole again in 2021.

Houston said it was important to his office that Wright serve every day of her 25-year sentence. When Wright is eventually released, they want Smith to be old enough to determine if she wants a relationship with her biological mother.

“If Melissa had gotten out today, she could have legally enforced her parental rights,” Houston said. “I think that would have been a horrible thing for Ashley.”

This article was written by Morbid for The Dreamin Demon - the Internet's self-appointed buzzkill.

Ud7wI9fct-c

Continue reading...

Damn! The baby incubator sure looks pleased with herself. Mentally ill or not, knowing I did something so horrific to my own flesh and blood, I'm not sure I'd ever smile again. Hell, I'd probably just off myself. I want to smack the shit out of her. :punch::punch::punch::punch::rage::rage::rage::rage:

This girl is a hero. I'm happy she had the strength to stand before the parole board and show the pictures and tell her story and request her mothers parole be denied. This mother should be in prison for life. I can't imagine the pain and suffering this little girl went through in her life. She is a beautiful young lady.

did you notice where Wright lived at the time she tried to roast her baby,

Wright, who lived in Harm's Way in Coosada, Alabama, initially told police that her baby 'fell in the oven and the door slammed shut.'

quote from @Beautiful Disaster's link

“If Melissa had gotten out today, she could have legally enforced her parental rights,” Houston said. “I think that would have been a horrible thing for Ashley.”

I feel like someone has dropped the ball. Why haven't the mothers parental rights been terminated?

Yeah...fuck this bitch. She doesn't deserve to be free after what she did. So glad the parole board and that county attorney did right by that girl and didn't set her mother free to terrorize her. She deserves to live a life unmolested by this woman and her sickness.

When a woman is truly crazy and hurts her kids, she doesn't normally have a back up story. The real crazies usually start screaming at someone on the phone, out the window, down the damn street, that they just killed their baby. They are usually horrified. This woman was not batshit.
I'm also confused as to why the "mother" can claim any rights to the little girl. Her rights, and the father's should just be terminated. He said she was supposedly showing signs of mental illness and just sat there with his thumb up his ass. Fuck that guy.

Astonished that psychotic, shit for brains first tried to pass off the act of putting her daughter in the oven as an accident. Did she have a turkey and her daughter sitting on the kitchen counter and have an, "Oh my god, I can't believe I just did that moment!" by shoving the wrong one in the oven? Bitch please!

Thankful that her daughter appears to be well adjusted and although she will always carry the scars is now living life to the full.

Back